TVs, including LCD/LED, plasma, OLED, and more. Ask for buying advice, or help others, share experiences etc.
By subichan
Hello,
I'm new to this forum, but I took my time already to read many of your reviews, which I found refreshing and stimulating for their objectiveness (I haven't seen anyone else using compliance to industry standard as a quality reference on the internet). I'm planning to learn much from you if possible in the future days, as I'm just entering the digital video world and I really like it. Hopefully future knowledge and studying will enable me to discern among good and bad more easily, but for the time being I would be grateful if you could advise a choice between Philips 5605H and Samsung C6000. I've read both reviews.
I must say that what I like in the Philips TV is the outstanding sharpness, but unfortunately the colours, as of Shop program (preset), are totally unfaithful. But I must say that thank its sharpness I could discern different hues where in other TVs you just see an indistinguishable amalgam.. So I was impressed. But really that's not a problem with the Samsung TV either, because even though the excursion in the settable range of sharpness isn't as high as Philips, the average setting (out-of-box one) is already sharp enough. So apart from Philips' slightly higher settable sharpness, I couldn't find any more pros in its favor.
I've studied the video it produces thoroughly in preset mode, and it looks to me as too homogeneous and bland: colors aren't as warm as other TV sets and as vivid, and where other TVs enhance shadows, the Philips TV tends to nullify them by uniforming everything to the most lighted area with a rather artificial evenly brightness. In my very subjective opinion, it's as if the image loses depth in a sense. I've noticed this only today when an animation movie was being played.
I also noticed "blocky" artifacts similar to that created by video compression around the head of the movie animated characters when they suddenly fell from a tree heads down: is that due to their sudden fast motion? That noise wasn't noticeable on the Samsung set, probably due to its reduced sharpness.
On the other hand though, the Samsung colors look too heavy to me, very sharp nonetheless, but too saturated.
I'm not sure anymore which of these I should buy, but I would need to decide now as they're both on sale this weekend and being an unemployed student I shouldn't miss the chance :) If I had the dough I'd go for that precious Panasonic D25, but the 32 inches one (the only size that would fit my lair :)) is just too expensive. If you ask me it's perfect in every sense, but it's just too expensive so I must not even think about it.
So here I am. After reading your reviews I wouldn't know who else to ask for an advice but you. As of now, the only objective thing that would make me choose Samsung C6000 over Philips 5605H is its superior media player, but this is a very lame criterion to found the choice upon.
So well, I'd be grateful for your opinion. Please help me take a smart decision!
I thank you in advance.