TVs, including LCD/LED, plasma, OLED, and more. Ask for buying advice, or help others, share experiences etc.
Hi,

I am now looking for a LCD TV to replace my old 32" 720P set. I have some criteria and have been looking but haven't found anything to meet the needs. There always seems to be a gotcha! Since I am looking for a smaller size everything seems to be very low end in quality. I don't know why but manufacturers seem to assume the reason one wants a smaller set is for cost rather than for space limitations such as my case. Cost is not a concern for me as even the best set in this size is still pretty cheap (other than something like OLED or something of course).

I am in the USA.

What I am looking for is a TV used in a spare room for movies and games.

Wanted:

40" size, no larger (can be a bit smaller like 37").

3D capabilities.

PC input (VGA)

1080P native

"motion flow" or equivalant

low enough input lag for gaming although doesn't have to be super crazy low just something acceptable.

Good gamma capable with no clipped brights or crushed blacks.

Ability to switch to unscaled 1:1 pixel mapping for PC input.

Ability to shut off all of the dynamic picture "enhancing" nonsense they put in there.

Things I DON'T need or care about (if it has it ok):
Internet/smart, power saving, viewing angle (yes I don't care, I will be viewing on axis always), case aesthetics, weight, thinness.

If there is no such thing could you reccommend something with the most of these things?

Thanks.
Nothing anyone?

Ok how about this then:

37"-40"

1080p

VGA PC input with 1:1 pixel mapping in that mode (1:1 pixel mapping for all modes a plus).

Reasonable low input lag.

Ability to calibrate picture and shut off all of the contrast "enhancing" effects, AKA black crushing effects.

120Hz.

Possible to find a decent one that fits these specs?
No TVs exist with 120 Hz inputs for a PC. But most new TVs offer 1:1 pixel mapping over both HDMI and VGA. Sometimes you just need to change a few settings in the graphics card menu.

If you want a TV with very fast response time and very low input lag, plasma is the way for you.
Rasmus Larsen wrote:No TVs exist with 120 Hz inputs for a PC. But most new TVs offer 1:1 pixel mapping over both HDMI and VGA. Sometimes you just need to change a few settings in the graphics card menu.

If you want a TV with very fast response time and very low input lag, plasma is the way for you.
Hi,

Thanks for the info but I should clarify 120 Hz min for the HDMI inputs (for blu-ray movies etc). The PC input is a different story.

What I needed was 1:1 pixel mapping capability for VGA on the TV itself. I use that for other non-PC VGA inputs and there are no graphics card settings to set so I need the TV to just display the image without scaling, even if that means a small border. Most TVs I have seen have very limited formatting options (4:3, standard, zoom, fit).

I don't need super low input lag just something acceptable. I don't like plasma due to the dithering it uses in low brightness scenes among other things . I will sit pretty close to the set while gaming and will see it.

I have seen the recommendations list but there is nothing in 40" there that I found.

Do you have recomendations for any 40" 1080p LCD TVs that have 120Hz for movies, VGA input that does 1:1? Also one that allows proper calibration to disable those black crushing contrast "enhancers" especially? I would like the best I can get in that size.

Thanks much.
DaveC19 wrote:
Rasmus Larsen wrote:No TVs exist with 120 Hz inputs for a PC. But most new TVs offer 1:1 pixel mapping over both HDMI and VGA. Sometimes you just need to change a few settings in the graphics card menu.

Thanks for the info but I should clarify 120 Hz min for the HDMI inputs (for blu-ray movies etc). The PC input is a different story.
You can only input up to 60 Hz signals into a TV - no 120 Hz. A Blu-ray is only 24 Hz but the TV then triples or quadruples the frame rate from here. These are two different things. You cannot buy a TV that accepts 120 Hz signals via HDMI.

DaveC19 wrote:What I needed was 1:1 pixel mapping capability for VGA on the TV itself. I use that for other non-PC VGA inputs and there are no graphics card settings to set so I need the TV to just display the image without scaling, even if that means a small border. Most TVs I have seen have very limited formatting options (4:3, standard, zoom, fit).
Fit is often the 1:1 pixel mapping option. I have not seen a TV from the major manufacturers that does not support 1:1 pixel mapping in a very long time, so don't worry too much about it :)
DaveC19 wrote:I have seen the recommendations list but there is nothing in 40" there that I found.
Most TVs on the list exist in 40/42 version. You just change the model name to include 40 instead of for example 46 or 50.
Rasmus Larsen wrote:You can only input up to 60 Hz signals into a TV - no 120 Hz. A Blu-ray is only 24 Hz but the TV then triples or quadruples the frame rate from here. These are two different things. You cannot buy a TV that accepts 120 Hz signals via HDMI.
I guess I didn't say it right but what I wanted was a TV that supports 120 Hz that as you say the TV does.
Fit is often the 1:1 pixel mapping option. I have not seen a TV from the major manufacturers that does not support 1:1 pixel mapping in a very long time, so don't worry too much about it :)
I hope so and I hope that this will also allow 1080P video to be played at 1:1. Many times they will still zoom a 1080 P image a little to overscan so even a 1080 image will not be 1:1 on a 1080 native TV! I always thought fit was to fit to the screen. So a 720 image would be scaled to a 1080 by scaling it to fit to the edges of the screen. I still want to make sure, with my luck I would pick the only one that scales no matter what. The Sony that I have now will do that, any HDMI source will be scaled to fit no matter what (PC input allows 1:1 though) and there is no way to avoid it.
Most TVs on the list exist in 40/42 version. You just change the model name to include 40 instead of for example 46 or 50.
I guess I will try that. You don't have anything that pops to mind? Nothing that stands out in your memory with what I want as Wow that is an exceptional 37" or 40" TV!

I have been looking but they all blend together and I am more overwhelmed now than I was before I started looking.