PC monitors of all kinds.
By aeidau
I thought It might not be a good idea to hijack Mike's thread even though they are similar questions :p

Anyway...

Hi, Rasmus & everyone

My Asus screen has broken again :x VW222U blacks were turning green (lazy pixels?) 2nd time it has happened. Asus has been very good with the RMA but I'm looking to getting a new monitor or two.

I'm going to be start studying Industrial Design next year at uni so I'm looking for a monitor with good picture quality as I will be sitting infront of it for hours.

I will be using it for: CAD (SW, 3DSMAX, Rihno & AC), Adobe Suite (PS, AI, Flash & DW), Photo/Video editing, Web design, Web browsing (Self confessed Opera webbrowser tab whore) and the occasional movie/game.

And preferred 22" +

under $1,000 AUD approx $914USD

I've been looking at Dell and HP. NEC seem to be really expensive

What I've found so far and any there any oher options?
HP LP2475W RRRP $999AUD
HP LP2275W RRRP $649AUD
DELL U2410 RRP $799AUD

I'd love to hear your recommendations

Cheers Kieran :)
CAD requires big resolutions so I would go for a 24-inch personally.

In my opinion Dell U2410 is the best choice. LP2475W is a nice monitor, too, but Dell U2410 comes pre-calibrated which ensures nice, accurate colours.

Have you ever tried a IPS panel before? Some people dislike the coating on IPS panels and prefer S-PVA. If you don't mind the coating grab a U2410.
By aeidau
Thankyou Rasmus for the quick reply

I have never tried an IPS or S-PVA panel only TN and Old CRTs what are the differences?

Since res is a major factor would I be best off looking for a 30" or would the res difference only be minimal? 2560 x 1600 compared to 1920 x 1200 Mind you the cheapest 30"[Samsung 305T 30"WS Samsung S-PVA (LTM300M1)] in Australia i can find is $1,500AUD... :P And is that even a good monitor?

I could always buy a second U2410 if I like it later on when they become cheaper I suppose? Is using more then one screen beneficial/productive? Would that be the better option?

Cheers Kieran :)
aeidau wrote:I have never tried an IPS or S-PVA panel only TN and Old CRTs what are the differences?
IPS panels have slightly better colour reproduction. Mainly because the S-PVA panel has some difficulties producing all colour from straight on because of the pixel alignment design inside the LCD panel. Sometimes jo have to move your head slightly to the left or right in order to distinguish two very close colours from each other (for example red and "red+1"). IPS panels also have better viewing angles and faster response time (with or without the optimized Overdrive circuits that speeds up response time). IPS panels have a “crystallized” coating though. Some people hate this coating, personally I don’t mind.
PVA panels have better blacks.
Since res is a major factor would I be best off looking for a 30" or would the res difference only be minimal? 2560 x 1600 compared to 1920 x 1200 Mind you the cheapest 30"[Samsung 305T 30"WS Samsung S-PVA (LTM300M1)] in Australia i can find is $1,500AUD... :P And is that even a good monitor?
A 30-inch is an option, yeah. Samsung 305T is fair but the colour reproduction is not good and it only has a few setting options in the menu. Is 305T+ not available?
I could always buy a second U2410 if I like it later on when they become cheaper I suppose? Is using more then one screen beneficial/productive? Would that be the better option?
That's how I personally do it. I like the two-screen setup as it gives me the opportunity to have two large pictures side-by-side. You often need a one static picture showing you a text or press release (for journalists that is) and for that task the two-screen setup is perfect.
By aeidau
The cheapest Samsung 305T+
I presume its a better panel then the 305T by the way you worded your question. :p
but at $1,570AUD + P&H. it's too expensive for me atm :(

Well CAD usally has multipule views in different windows which I could then move to the other monitor I suppose if i decide to get another screen in the future.

It deffinatly looks like the DELL U2410 is the right choice for me thanks for all the help. :D

Now on to finding a TV for my mum :roll: