A chance to talk to FlatpanelsHD's reviewers.
By wfmxx2000
Nice to see the test up.
I wonder if you try the "lagom-black level test" at http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php, what black levels are distinguishable from the 0-black-background (if ever so little)? Remember to run in full-screen mode and in a dark place.

I once had the opportunity to try out a Dell U2410, which I think crushed black levels 1-5 (i.e. not distinguishable). That U2410 I tested also had the dreaded dithering in sRGB and AdobeRGB modes (only in those modes) - looked like fixed random noise in particular on low black/grey levels. I hope HP don't have anything similar?! It might have been fixed in later revisions of that Dell, haven't checked lately. Anyway, I returned the Dell because of that dither problem (which was confirmed by pretty much everyone). Can you see it on your Dell (revision?) in sRGB?

Thanks for an awesome site - always looking forward to your tests and news,
Fredrik
By pleeno
Boedy:
Hi, thanks for the review. I'm still having trouble deciding what panel to go for. I have just one question. I'm from the netherlands and I pay 75 euro's more for the dell u2410.
In your opinion, is the dell worth the extra 75 euro's?

pleeno:
Hi Boedy, if we compare this review with the one for the u2410 i guess yes the extra of 75 euro's (90 here in italy) is the best choice.. but i'm still like u waiting the Rasmus opinion..

from TFT review: "Perhaps the only real problem with the ZR24W was its poor black depth and contrast ratio. It's going to be fine for most average users anyway, but it just didn't match the performance of other models in this range. The Dell U2410 wasn't much better to be fair, but the HP LP2475W and NEC EA231WMi showed obvious improvements in this regard."

Boedy:
I've been looking at the HP LP2475W too, After reading a great deal about the Dell and the HP. I still find it hard to make a choice. The HP indeed has a better black depth, but it disappoints in other tests.

pleeno:
probably the HP LP2475W is the one but here in Italy is about 200 euro's more than the ZR24W.. so the Dell U2410 i think is still the best choice in cost/benefits, just 80 euro's more..
of course also the NEC is a very good choice in cost/benefits but i want a 24, not a 23..
By pleeno
Hi all and hi boedy
definitely don't buy the Dell U2410 if you don't mind a wide gamut, and you won't use all the extra connectors the dell has, Get this HP ZR24W or take a look at the NEC EA231WMi.

For my work i need a wide gamut and extra connectors 'cause i will use my new IPS monitor for image & video-editing, but
i'm still not sure between the HP LP2475W (about 600 euro's here in italy) or the Dell U2410 (about 500 euro's)...

Of course i know there also others better IPS monitors for video-editing in the market but right now i cannot pay more than 600 euro's..
By Rasmus Larsen
wfmxx2000 wrote:Nice to see the test up.
I wonder if you try the "lagom-black level test" at http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php, what black levels are distinguishable from the 0-black-background (if ever so little)? Remember to run in full-screen mode and in a dark place.
No, I use our own monitorTest software that also has shadow detail patterns. :)
It's free and available for download here: http://www.flatpanelshd.com/focus.php?s ... 1229341512
I once had the opportunity to try out a Dell U2410, which I think crushed black levels 1-5 (i.e. not distinguishable). That U2410 I tested also had the dreaded dithering in sRGB and AdobeRGB modes (only in those modes) - looked like fixed random noise in particular on low black/grey levels. I hope HP don't have anything similar?! It might have been fixed in later revisions of that Dell, haven't checked lately. Anyway, I returned the Dell because of that dither problem (which was confirmed by pretty much everyone). Can you see it on your Dell (revision?) in sRGB?
Yes I heard about the dithering issue and it's a bit stange. I have nothing on my U2410 and actually I'm using this monitor often together with some Eizo PVA panels and some other IPS panels.

But yeah, U2410 crushes some of dark grey tones. ZR24W, too. If you want perfect shadow detailing you will probably need a calibrator. IPS panels typically have some minor crushing because of the weak black levels. PVA panels have crushing issues because of the viewing angles issue that I talked about in the Eizo EV2333W review.
ZR24W has no dithering issues.
Thanks for an awesome site - always looking forward to your tests and news,
Fredrik
Thanks. I hope you spread the word about us. I promise that we will be reviewing a lot of interesting monitors in the future :)
By wb640
Also from NL here, just bought the ZR24W last week (4Launch.nl, cheapest by far AND on stock), and I am very happy with it. Of course I don't have the U2410 to compare the screens next to each other, but I spent about 2 weeks researching and choosing between the U2410 and the LP2475w. I was going for the LP2475w until I discovered that this model is (about to be) replaced with the ZR24W, so I decided for this model. No regrets, or it must be the fact that I could have gone for an ever higher resolution than 1920x1200 .... I was not sure about the physical size of this monitor on my desk but that is not bad at all ! No problem at all.
By hpsucks
I bought my ZR24W today. I am VERY disappointed!

My panel has some serious glowing problems. Somebody added his zr24w on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cc1Jqx_6ih0. Man, I gotta say that my zr24w sucks even more. Black color is really glowing silver. I'm gonna the panel back :x

My Samsung SM226BW S (TN panel) or even my ~7 years old ViewSonic VP171s doesn't have any glowing/clouding problems like this crappy HP has.
By DW12345
HP ZR24w problems.

This panel is a complete waste of money in my opinion (and surprisingly, in only a handful of other peoples opinions). The 'glowing', referred to above, certainly exists and it is ridiculous to think that anyone could say this is anywhere near close to being a 'professional quality' screen. (Although MANY reviews DO say this, I've spent too much time here already to be posting links to prove anything I'm bashing away on the keyboard about....... so just google the reviews, you'll find them). When sat right in front of the screen, in the centre, there is an oval area of about 20cm x 15cm which seems fine, with ok contrast/colour etc, BUT, ALL THE REST OF THE SCREEN GLOWS!!!! Even with all the lights off in the room there is a completely unworkable amount of glow around the screen. As you move your head around in front of it, the glow moves around too, although it does disappear if you move about 5 to 6 feet (2m) directly away from the screen. At first I thought it must be the reflection of the bright walls in the computer room, so I turned the light off, but... THE GLOW IS STILL THERE!!!

If you are intending to buy the HP ZR24W monitor to use for pro/semi-pro photographic or video work, or even for anything you care about looking good, then BUY SOMETHING ELSE. The glowing causes all the contrast in the image to disappear when viewing anything other than a bright image, you have to move your head around the screen all the time to see an even, or true version of what is supposed to be seen. Try and imagine a vignette that sucks out the contrast and makes the image silvery and light, this is exactly what the glowing looks like.

The 'glow' problem isn't the only problem however, maximise an image of just a plain, single shade of medium grey, sit back and you can see a faint criss cross pattern. There are two quite distinctive vertical bands of 'slight darkness' and 3 horizontal ones. I haven't read this anywhere else 'yet' but I have just contacted an aquaintance who purchased the same screen about a week ago and she also has the criss cross. (And the glow).

This is NOT a professional monitor. I bought it to replace a Samsung Syncmaster 20.1" LCD screen because the Samsung doesn't have true 16.7 million colour representation and I am now trying to make a living from photography. An upgrade was essential and I wanted to keep the 1200 pixel vertical resolution and have true colour and IPS, but this monitor is a MASSIVE DOWNGRADE.

I have waited for what seems like a lifetime for the IPS panels to get cheaper and the refresh rates to catch up (so I can play the occasional shooter). This screen seemed like the perfect solution. I feel extremely angry that so many people have posted good reviews about this screen as an acceptable, professional quality 'budget option' for photographers, or those involved with pro-level video editing.

Take my advice, either buy the cheapest 1920 x 1200 screen you can find (it will be better than this one) or, go to a store and test drive some LCD's, that would be the best option. I am NEVER buying anything on the strength of internet reviews ever again, the more I buy on the strength of 'expert reviews' and 'customer feedback' found online, the less the items seem to live up to the rave reviews. If you are serious about your imaging then I would probably save for a better screen, that is what I intend to do, this HP rubbish is going straight back. I haven't even tried anything other than attempting to get rid of the DREADED GLOW and write this post, it's just that bad. Before I fall asleep (which won't be long), I will be playing a round of Battlefield 2 Bad Company on this very screen, if there is anything noticably awry, I will log in again tomorrow and update this post (on my old LCD, I won't delay in sending this one back!).

DON'T BUY THIS SCREEN, GET SOMETHING SIMILAR FOR CHEAPER, OR SAVE UP FOR SOMETHING BETTER, WHATEVER YOU WANT TO USE IT FOR!

Don't be caught out by the 'Viewing Angle' marketing specifications. This screen is touted in some reviews (more in a minute on differing specs in reviews...) as having 178 degree viewing angles, yes, you can see the screen from extreme viewing angles and read what is on it, but the image is absolutely NOT viewable at an acceptable level from most angles. From top to bottom, or side to side, even sat directly in front of it, the GLOW is ugly. Ugly, ugly, ugly!

Differing specs
I have now compared the specs from many reviews and found quite a few inconsistencies. Some review specs say that this screen has a 1000:1 contrast ratio, while others say 3000:1. Some say 179 degree viewing angles, some say 178 degrees and others (including the HP website) say only that it can be viewed from extreme angles without losing contrast, though they quote no actual figures. THIS IS A LIE, YOU DO LOSE CONTRAST AND GET A NICE GLOW THROWN IN AS A BONUS!
Also, the HP website says that the response time of this screen is 5ms, when all the other reviews I have found say 7ms response time. (I think one or two say 6ms as well!) Why the inconsistencies? (Again, I'm not going to validate my opinions by posting links to verify my accusations. If you don't feel you can believe me, google like mad, as indeed I have done, and look for yourself.)

Maybe there are different 'models' of the ZR24W, made with different LCD panels inside? If everyone reviewing the screen (from the reviews I have read) are being honest and they are actually being objective rather than just liking it because they are stuck with it (or some other irrational reason) then it must be the case that all ZR24W's are not made equal. There is no other explanation for the, ahem... glowing reviews. (Sorry about that.)

I have used many, many LCD screens in my time, I spend 16 hours a day in front of the things, 7 days a week most weeks. Yes I'm sad, but luckily for you, out of that sadness emanates the gift of knowledge and I have come here to impart my new found wisdom and save everyone's soul from a life of LCD torment. (OK, yes, that was a bit dramatic). Hopefully though, I can stop you all from having to endure the rigmorole, dissapointment and misery I have endured today. I will probably have to endure further misery for the forthcoming weeks whilst I attempt to return this useless piece of scrap plastic, get a full refund and obtain a handwritten apology from the CEO of Hewlett Packard.

HP have wasted enough of my time already today so I have to stop typing soon, please don't let them waste your time and avoid this monitor, if not because of what I have said here, then avoid it on price if you can. I found absolutely no benefit in using this screen over my old one, the extra colour depth and extra 320 horizontal pixels count for nothing if you can't get an even contrast accross the whole screen, especially when sitting directly in front of it. This screen is completely useless for photo or video editing, even if you are not pro level at what you are doing, in my opinion.

As I said, you don't have to believe me and I hope you don't just read this and think "DW12345's comments on flatpanelshd.com were scathing, but his post was written quite comprehensibly, so it must be true, I must also now hate this monitor!". I would recommend making your purchasing decisions based on an understanding of the available product(s) and not just on the opinions expressed in online reviews.

I really am going on a bit too much now aren't I. Oh well, I have calmed down a little since starting this post about two hours ago, so I hope it has been worth the effort and that it has helped broaden your understanding or opinions a little.
I have just gone back and read what I have written here and consequently removed most of my emotionally conceived remarks. What remains of my post should now be an honest account of what I think of the HP ZR24W IPS? monitor.

DW.
By rhore
The ZR24W is a pretty nice looking screen in my opinion and it offers a decent range of ergonomic adjustments.it is made up high quality materials .it has come up with lots of features installed within it. Truly a nice machines to go ahead.