A chance to talk to FlatpanelsHD's reviewers.
By anpe008
Thanks the review Rasmus,

I have a question. I am about to buy V10 but i am still like the Kuro Lx5090H.
See here my detailed situation: http://www.avforums.com/forums/plasma-t ... inner.html

If I can get the Kuro 5090H at the same prize-tag as the V10 (3600 CHF, 2400 EUR), what would you say, Kuro or wait for V10 when it will be cheaper?

Thanks in advance.

Bests,
anpe008
By Rasmus Larsen
anpe008 wrote:Thanks the review Rasmus,

I have a question. I am about to buy V10 but i am still like the Kuro Lx5090H.
See here my detailed situation: http://www.avforums.com/forums/plasma-t ... inner.html

If I can get the Kuro 5090H at the same prize-tag as the V10 (3600 CHF, 2400 EUR), what would you say, Kuro or wait for V10 when it will be cheaper?

Thanks in advance.

Bests,
anpe008
I understand your dilemma. Prices on V10 models are probably falling soon but in my opinion you should go for the Pioneer if you want the best TV. The Pioneer KURO is still something unique and I know that some have predicted that the 2009 Panasonic models would match it. Unfortunately they didn't and my guess is that the 2010 models will be inferior to the KURO as well. I'm a big KURO fan, only because Pioneer did some groundbreaking PQ research and development that was (and is) years ahead of any competitor.

So, if I was in your situation I would definitely but the Pioneer.
By avpjugon
PANASONIC TX-P50V10 VS PANASONIC TH-50PZ800

Dear Rasmus,

I would like to know your opinion about this matter. Which of these plasmas do you really think is the best?
Does really the V10 serie improve much to the last year 2009 serie PZ800?
What will you recommend me to purchase from these 2 Panasonics today?
In fact I do think that the best TV in the world is the Pioneer Kuro PDP KRP-500A.

I look forward to hearing from your comments.

Thanks in advance!! :)
Kind regards,

Alvaro.
By Rasmus Larsen
Hi Alvaro

No doubt that both the Pioneer LX5090H and KRP-500 is still king. We are also still using the Pioneer KURO as our reference TV.

V10 has improved a little over PZ800 but it's more of a natural evolution than a revolution. Personally I would go for the V10 or consider the new Samsung B850.
By Nani
Hello Rasmus

I am reviewer of flat panels at croatian portal HD television.

Recently we have received 50V10 and I had took measures with our testing gear.

This is what Ive got;

http://www.imagesforme.com/out.php/i549 ... yscale.jpg
http://www.imagesforme.com/out.php/i549 ... kLevel.jpg

Contrast ratio is 4005:1 at average gamma of 2.09 at THX mod with 0,02cd/m2!

I was wondering what colorimetar and sfotware are you using, because V10 with this results is the best TV without question in 2009?

Also I would give this tv an advantage over the Kuro. Why?

Motion resolution is 1080 vs 900 (kuro)
THX mod is "plag and play" option without need to calibrate panel like Kuro
NeoPDP panel-less power consumtion
CIE chart shows that all 3 RGB are at 100% ot of the box
Integrated MPEG4 (cable and satellite tuners), Kuro "H" has this also but not "non H" version
Game mod that is much better implemented then on Kuro
No phoshor trails and no image retention on V10 (testeb with Casio F1 high-speed kamera at 300fps)
Price that is much lower than LX5090 and H version

Kuro has better blacks and SD.
By Rasmus Larsen
Nani wrote:Hello Rasmus

I am reviewer of flat panels at croatian portal HD television.

Recently we have received 50V10 and I had took measures with our testing gear.

This is what Ive got;

http://www.imagesforme.com/out.php/i549 ... yscale.jpg
http://www.imagesforme.com/out.php/i549 ... kLevel.jpg

Contrast ratio is 4005:1 at average gamma of 2.09 at THX mod with 0,02cd/m2!

I was wondering what colorimetar and sfotware are you using, because V10 with this results is the best TV without question in 2009?

Also I would give this tv an advantage over the Kuro. Why?

Motion resolution is 1080 vs 900 (kuro)
THX mod is "plag and play" option without need to calibrate panel like Kuro
NeoPDP panel-less power consumtion
CIE chart shows that all 3 RGB are at 100% ot of the box
Integrated MPEG4 (cable and satellite tuners), Kuro "H" has this also but not "non H" version
Game mod that is much better implemented then on Kuro
No phoshor trails and no image retention on V10 (testeb with Casio F1 high-speed kamera at 300fps)
Price that is much lower than LX5090 and H version

Kuro has better blacks and SD.
Thank you for your post, Nani.

Yeah I agree. It's a very fine TV.

We use an eye one pro calibrator and some different testing software, including the HCFR, BasICColor and some graphic software to produce the user-friendly graph in our review.

I wasn't able to measure blacks at 0,02 cd/m2. Sure, I could get black below the 0,05 cd/m2 that I measured but then I would lose valuable shadow detailing. I don't know if the 42-inch is much different from the 50-inch.

I saw a lot of phosphor trailing, though. Have you tried our testing software monitorTest here: http://www.flatpanelshd.com/focus.php?s ... 1229341512
Our trailing test has been optimized for examining phosphor trailing, overdrive trailing (on LCDs) and regular trailing.

In its THX mode, the V10 has a colour problem, too, making the reproduction of secondary colours wrong. The magenta has not been correctly implemented and you can't fix this issue with calibration.
Colour reproduction is better on both the KURO and Samsung B850 (unless the very dark shades).
By RM_Correia
Great work you have done on the review of the Panasonic V10, best i have seen :)
I will probably buy one Panasonic the P42V10...I am now convinced !!

I have one question, what did you do to achived this results ?

Out-of-Box After calibration
Standby usage 0,2 W 0,2 W
SD 335 W 196 W
HDTV 335 W 196 W

Was this made with the sets you have described in "calibrated the TV to improve picture quality" regarding the table in the review ?

Kind Regards from Portugal.
Rui
By Rasmus Larsen
RM_Correia wrote:Great work you have done on the review of the Panasonic V10, best i have seen :)
I will probably buy one Panasonic the P42V10...I am now convinced !!

I have one question, what did you do to achived this results ?

Out-of-Box After calibration
Standby usage 0,2 W 0,2 W
SD 335 W 196 W
HDTV 335 W 196 W

Was this made with the sets you have described in "calibrated the TV to improve picture quality" regarding the table in the review ?

Kind Regards from Portugal.
Rui
Thank you for your kind words :)

Yes, that's the energy consumption with calibrated settings.
By cipsas
Hi Rasmus.
Could you elaborate on the following:
As far as I understand the V10 and G10 feature identical picture processing circuitry HW. Then, is it correct it assume that the picture differences between the two are solely because of different settings and some firmware (such as THX mode in V10) differencies? Please correct me if I'm wrong, but my current understanding is that one can get identical picture parameters (like blacks or shadow detail or THX profile) in both models provided that he has access to calibration gear. I see it like more elaborated version of picture profiles that we find in older TV sets like "day", "movie" etc. - you can always achieve the same by tuning the picture parameters manually. Specifically, the THX looks like just another (probably more accurate) factory preset which you can easily (?) replicate on G10 if you got the necessary calibration equipment.