A chance to talk to FlatpanelsHD's reviewers.
By Rasmus Larsen
LanWanMan wrote:Hi there Ras.

I've just bought the Sammy PS50B850 largely because of the review you gave it, and I must agree that it is a beautiful TV.

The one problem I have at the moment is that I can't seem to understand what you've done with the colour settings in your calibration (Me being a noob no doubt :p ).

You have said that you leave the colour space to auto, yet when I do that I cannot configure any of the individual colours. Even when I do change it to custom, and look at the individual colour settings I don't see how I can set negative values (-23 as an example). The only other options I can find colour wise are things like colour temps (Example: Cool, Normal, Warm1, Warm2, Warm3).

Could you possibly assist with a description as to what I'm doing wrong? and please forgive my complete and utter noobishness with regards to this :/

Thanks in advance,

Chris
Ohh, I can't really remember. I don't have the TV here anymore. But I remember that you have to access a deeper menu somewhere. Maybe choose a custom colour temperature?
By mrmachine
I just purchased the PS58B850 which is big and beautiful (cabinet and picture quality). However, having previously owned a Sony Bravia LCD (2006 V series) I had expected that this (or any) plasma would have significantly better motion resolution.

I notice a lot of what I call "motion blur" especially when playing video games on this TV, even when slowly panning a scene I can "see double", e.g. it looks like two frames are visible and overlap each other.

The motion resolution tests on the "fpd benchmark software for professional" disc seem to indicate a motion resolution of around 240 (VHS) or 320 (broadcast analogue TV)! I should point out that I noticed this problem while gaming without looking for a problem, long before I thought about testing anything with a benchmark disc.

Is there some hidden setting that I'm missing, or is it really this bad? Are all plasma's this bad? From everything I read on the net I thought that plasma had no "motion blur" because it has a near instantaneous 0.0001ms refresh rate and each frame immediately decays (rather than the holding until the next frame, like LCD).

I tried running the benchmarks with the "1080 full hd motion demo" enabled, and it looks almost identical on both sides while in motion. I can't see any option to enable or disable the "motion plus" frame interpolation feature or the "1080 full hd motion" feature. I think both are permanently enabled, the former only for 50hz signals?

Is this just a flaw with my particular TV, or this model, or all plasmas, or all TV's?
By yuria
Hay :) :)

I have PS50B550/PS50B560 plasma ,the small "brother" of PS50B850
this plasma is great TV
If you reviewed this plasma ,can you send me the calibration values
including the White Balance values
or can use White Balance values of PS50B850
for the PS50B550 :love:

Thanks a lot

Uri Nissan
By Tiff_Needle
Hi there,

I've just bought a PS50B850!

I have to thank you for your great review! You've convinced me! I've read a lot about all the 3 contenders V10 Panny, Pionner Kuro and the 850, and if money wasn't an issue I would've got a Pio Kuro instead, but I must say that I saw the 850 at a friends house and I was really impressed.

So I would like to ask you two questions:

One regarding settings and the other regarding Break-in...

I saw on your review the settings that you've applied after calibration (Without using any kind of full feature settings on service mode) where you recomended:

Profile: Movie
Backlight 6
Contrast 95
Brightness:50
Sharpness:0
Colour: 50
Tone G50/R50
Black tone Off
Dynamic contrast Off
Colour space Auto
Skin tones 0
Edge enhancement Off
xvYCC Off
Auto Light Limiter Off
Clear white Off
HDMI, black tone Normal
Vivid colours Off
RGB: Manual
• Red- 30
• Green- 23
• Blue- 27
• Red+ 27
• Green+ 25
• Blue+ 26

First of all, these setting or aplicable in wich Firmware version?

Since I occasionally play a bit PS3, especially COD Modern Warfare II (When I have time), and since it's recommended to use the gaming mode since it's been told that it is aimed to reduce input lag, and therefore forces the set to use the Default picture profile, I would like to know what is your recomendation of settings with this mode/profile.

Do you think that if I use a calibration disk such as Spears & Munsil High-Definition Benchmark Blu-ray Disc I could achieve any good settings, being a Newbie on the matters of HD Imaging?

Also, should I use movie mode to see regular SD/HD Broadcast?

The other question is regaring the so called break-in period.

I've read a lot, and believe me there is to much discussion on the issue, about break-in on plasma. But altough there is a lot of information, I'm still confused!

Since this is a relatively new model, and generation of plasma, should I proceed with a Break-in period? Well I must say that with my Hi-End Hi-Fi system a was peranoid on the break-in issue altough it was not because of a lifetime extention of the equipments but really due tto the fact that you achieve better overall sound quality after a period of time.

If you should recomend me on going trough the break-in stage, wich procedure would you advise me? Should I use the famous Evangelos Angelides disk? Weird that it's on DVD resolution, no?

Thank You so much for all your help and advise,

Cheers,