A chance to talk to FlatpanelsHD's reviewers.
By sh4dow
i have to say i'm deeply annoyed by the performance of this monitor. i am STILL a crt user because i am an avid gamer, a film connoisseur AND a digital artist.

the fs2331 was almost what i wanted because of it's obvious great black levels which would probably only be very slightly worse than my CRT whenever i would switch the lights off but i couldn't see myself playing games on it. and depending on how bad the ghosting really is - i hate it when i move the mouse pointer or a window around and the image is not always perfect.

so i was hoping that the fs2332 would deliver the same picture quality but improve upon the response time. guess that's out of the window.
and the waiting game continues... :x
By wesslan
Really nice monitor. My old samsung 226bw looks like crap now. Based on your review I guess for gaming you should not use features like smart resolution and power gamma since they are only available in game mode? 64 brightness looks really bright here for surfing but good for gaming. Any negative impact if I lower it?
By alexo
Thanks for the review.

I'm a bit confused by two issues and would appreciate help - the stated LUT on Eizo site for this model is 10 bits but the review states 8 bits signal processing. Does this mean that this model uses an algorithm that extends the incoming signal depth from 8 to 10 bits?

Another issue is that the DVI-D connectors on Eizo models are single link (24 pins) so the maximum depth can be 8 bits. I have a GTX 570 graphics card that supports DVI-D double link (48 pins) and 10 bits per color so I'm confused why Eizo doesn't provide a double link connection?

Since the other connector I have is HDMI and not Displayport, what options do I have connecting to a 10 bits (or more) monitor?
By Rasmus Larsen
sh4dow wrote:i have to say i'm deeply annoyed by the performance of this monitor. i am STILL a crt user because i am an avid gamer, a film connoisseur AND a digital artist.

the fs2331 was almost what i wanted because of it's obvious great black levels which would probably only be very slightly worse than my CRT whenever i would switch the lights off but i couldn't see myself playing games on it. and depending on how bad the ghosting really is - i hate it when i move the mouse pointer or a window around and the image is not always perfect.

so i was hoping that the fs2332 would deliver the same picture quality but improve upon the response time. guess that's out of the window.
and the waiting game continues... :x
Yeah, FS2331 was a quite different monitor because of its VA panel, and I agree that VA panels have some obvious advantages - but they also have some disadvantages compared to IPS.
By Rasmus Larsen
wesslan wrote:Really nice monitor. My old samsung 226bw looks like crap now. Based on your review I guess for gaming you should not use features like smart resolution and power gamma since they are only available in game mode? 64 brightness looks really bright here for surfing but good for gaming. Any negative impact if I lower it?
No, I suggest you keep those systems off.

You can pretty much change brightness without affecting gamma on the monitor, so if you feel it is too bright for daily use, go ahead :)
By Rasmus Larsen
alexo wrote:I'm a bit confused by two issues and would appreciate help - the stated LUT on Eizo site for this model is 10 bits but the review states 8 bits signal processing. Does this mean that this model uses an algorithm that extends the incoming signal depth from 8 to 10 bits?
The LUT is internal so it means that colors are processed through a 10 bit color table before ending up 8 bit on the panel. These LUT systems can improve color gradation with bad video content but for quality content the color gradation from the video signal should be alright.
alexo wrote:Another issue is that the DVI-D connectors on Eizo models are single link (24 pins) so the maximum depth can be 8 bits. I have a GTX 570 graphics card that supports DVI-D double link (48 pins) and 10 bits per color so I'm confused why Eizo doesn't provide a double link connection?
Almost no monitor come with true 10 bit and games/editing software does not support it so you will rarely see the benefit. Also, the few 10 bit monitors our there are mainly 8 bit+ FRC (dithering).
By JPA267
Thanks for this review. I just received this monitor yesterday and I love it! I use it only on Xbox and it the colors are very rich and it is very snappy for FPS. How would I go about calibrating the monitor if it is only connected to the Xbox? If I used my computer then calibration wouldn't hold anyway right?
By Luth
Hi all.
Thanks for the review.
I ended up buying this monitor.

Is it normal for all blacks to turn grey or to get this grey hue for the display if not looking straight at it?

I can look it nicely from the sides and upward. But as soon as i raise my head and look it even a little downwards i get grey hue.

Here's 2 pics if someone would be kind enought to comment on those.
http://www.saunalahti.fi/~tonili12/eizo/

The other pic is of course from a wider angle but i mean the screen gets grey even with slightest angle change from up to down.

By Rasmus Larsen
JPA267 wrote:Thanks for this review. I just received this monitor yesterday and I love it! I use it only on Xbox and it the colors are very rich and it is very snappy for FPS. How would I go about calibrating the monitor if it is only connected to the Xbox? If I used my computer then calibration wouldn't hold anyway right?
You should be able to use the same calibrated settings for your game console. Just maybe with a slightly higher brightness level.
By Rasmus Larsen
Luth wrote:Hi all.
Thanks for the review.
I ended up buying this monitor.

Is it normal for all blacks to turn grey or to get this grey hue for the display if not looking straight at it?

I can look it nicely from the sides and upward. But as soon as i raise my head and look it even a little downwards i get grey hue.

Here's 2 pics if someone would be kind enought to comment on those.
http://www.saunalahti.fi/~tonili12/eizo/

The other pic is of course from a wider angle but i mean the screen gets grey even with slightest angle change from up to down.

Yes, unfortunately. It happens on all LCD panels due to the way the liquid crystal inside the small pixels is arranged. IPS is the worst but it also happens with VA and TN based LCD panels.

The only ways to prevent it are to come up with a genius new LCD panel technology (which is probably not going to happen), have the LCD panel reproduce perfect black (only with local dimming) or for the manufacturers to move on to for example OLED.
By MattF
Why does nobody bother to test the Contrast Enhancer? I haven't found a single test with it. This is vital information. It is equivalent with the question of this monitor's contrast per se. Or at least explain why this is just left out.
By Mbandrea
Great review! Many models has been released for gamers since Samsung 2233rz. The LG 15EL9500 is undoubtedly the future for all gamers with plasma and LCD/LED displays. The whole idea of games has conquered new levels and newer technologies and games are moving towards reality every day!

:p