A chance to talk to FlatpanelsHD's reviewers.
By jlmcr87
In the review of hdportal.hr says black level of the ET5 is 0.056 cd/m2 and contrast 2048:1. So tell me what values i have to believe?
By Rasmus Larsen
jlmcr87 wrote:In the review of hdportal.hr says black level of the ET5 is 0.056 cd/m2 and contrast 2048:1. So tell me what values i have to believe?
I can tell you exactly why they have that number, without having studied their review. Most modern edge-lit have a so-called “global dimming function” that activates every time the TV goes to a black or close-to-black screen. The picture circuit identifies that the black screen is showing and therefore dims the led lamps along the edges of the panel to a pretty low level. On some TVs you cannot turn off the global dimming function.

The measurement error occurs when you try to measure black depth on a 100 % black screen. That is one of the oldest errors in the book and corresponds to measuring peak white on a plasma TV with a 100 % white screen (which is also highly misleading for real-life performance).

Instead, black level depth has to be measured using a “window black screen” that takes up less that 100 %; simply to trick the “global dimming function”.

It’s true that black depth on ET5 is deeper on a black or near-black screen but you can clearly see the dimming function in action. Also, how often of do you have a completely black screen in a movie scene or game (except for cut scenes)? It doesn’t happen and that is why measuring black depth with a “global dimming” situation is painting a skewed picture of the real performance.
By jlmcr87
Oh! Thanks for the explanation. Now I understand. Last year I bought a sony HX720 (dynamic edge led), and return it inmediatly because it have a lot of clouding and when a dark image didn´t activate that dynamic dimming you can appreciate all the clouding in semi-dark scenes.
Since that the clouding and the black levels is the first thing I appreciate in a tv.
By Rasmus Larsen
jlmcr87 wrote:Oh! Thanks for the explanation. Now I understand. Last year I bought a sony HX720 (dynamic edge led), and return it inmediatly because it have a lot of clouding and when a dark image didn´t activate that dynamic dimming you can appreciate all the clouding in semi-dark scenes.
Since that the clouding and the black levels is the first thing I appreciate in a tv.
Yes clouding can be a real show-stopper, I agree. Unfortunately no edge-lit TV today is completely clouding-free.
By Smith2011
Firstly, thanks for the review. Very thorough as ever.

I have read some reviews of this and other passive 3D sets that mention the FPR filter having an effect on normal 2D viewing (lessening of detail etc.). I have a passive 3D LG 47LW980t and have never noticed any effect whatsoever. Did you notice anything on the ET5 or any other passive set you have looked at in the past?
By Rasmus Larsen
Yes I have seen those claims but it's probably just propaganda from the active 3D supporting camp. It was actually one of the first things I examined on LG's Cinema 3D TVs last year (see the LW6500 review for some more information: http://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.php? ... 1301662476 ) and just like you, I experienced no problems at all.

Panasonic ET5 has no problems with loss of 2D details due to the polarizing filter either.
By Smith2011
Thanks for the reply. I totally agree with you. I have tested the 47LW980T with the Spears & Munsil test disc and it reproduces all the details in the luma resolution test with no problem.
By jart
Hello,

I'm new here.

i'm interested in getting this tv, maybe the 47 version. Before, I want to know if this panasonic already has new 3D algorithm (the one that LGs got in the middle of 2011) or only the original one.

Thanks
By Dugom
To Rasmus Larsen.

Love your review, and I think you could maybe improving it a bit.
This is for TV and monitor reviews, here is two easy tests pictures.

To check Clouding: (don't know if it's better than your own, worth a try)
http://www.mediafire.com/i/?010jp1lij1zdiux

To check Crosstalk: (for 3D display)
http://www.mediafire.com/i/?989ujwaa4k9627b

Display the image in 3D mode then take shot in front of the screen through both glasses (lens).
You shouldn't see both letter (L and R) in the shot, only one should appear, if not the crosstalk is bad!

Here some result with the L side (for better reading): (size 5MB)
http://www.mediafire.com/i/?oo2l8qxfcbh9gqf

All fourty 3DTV in this picture are set in "Cinema" mode.

PS:
I've many other Crosstalk images result about 3D monitors, if you are interested: (French)
http://www.lesnumeriques.com/legrandfor ... tm#t271280

Hope you will use this tools. If you have some questions, feel free to ask.

Regards
By backinblacklewis
I have ET5 37 inch one. Just made an account to say that so far knock on wood absolutely no flashlighting, tested in dark with black.jpg, no white angles or anything,...I had to exchange the original tv i bought, Panny g30 for this one because it was overheating , it's display was burning 50 celzius, and I had to fight them to exchange it - lol, fudging bleeps!( at the end there were like, "we are still going to sell it because there is nothing wrong with it", lol, I hope someone needs heating and TV, all in one...

The difference in SD and even HD picture is huge and it goes in favor of plasma, of course, but, you can play with color balances and gamma to make this TV's picture better....Still, it will never be as natural as Panny plasma, sadly...As far as for banding, I can't notice it yet, i watched a bit of Eurosport too,,will add here if I find anything...

I really have waisted so much time just in effort for Panasonic people to recognize that 50 degrees in spring coming off the TV panel is an obvious fault in design, that I don't recommend anyone buying another plasma without testing it in the shop for half an hour, just for overheating...And, if this lcd TV is doing anything like bleeding and flashlighting too much, demand to exchange the thing for a set like mine...I blame all this on manufacturing in China, or where ever they put them together, really shameful...
Good luck!
By ForceUser
Hi, you show us a picture of the calibrated "True Cinema" Mode, but you only share the parameters for the "cinema" mode. Could you also tell us the settings for more or less accurate colors in the "true cinema" mode? Thanks!
By Rasmus Larsen
jart wrote:Hello,

I'm new here.

i'm interested in getting this tv, maybe the 47 version. Before, I want to know if this panasonic already has new 3D algorithm (the one that LGs got in the middle of 2011) or only the original one.

Thanks
No, LG use their own algorithm. Panasonic also has a 3D algorithm that was originally designed for their plasma TVs. I'm not sure if it is the same one used in this TV.
By Rasmus Larsen
ForceUser wrote:Hi, you show us a picture of the calibrated "True Cinema" Mode, but you only share the parameters for the "cinema" mode. Could you also tell us the settings for more or less accurate colors in the "true cinema" mode? Thanks!
The picture modes are mostly just variations of each other. On LCD-TVs you can often use any mode and calibrate from here. The reason that we recommend users to use Cinema or True Cinema and then our calibrated settings on top of that, is just that the True Cinema/Cinema modes require less working (fewer settings need to be changed).

But you should be able to use both True Cinema and Cinema with the calibrated settings :) If you want to be sure, use True Cinema. That was what we used.
By Flummi
Hello,
I have a question about using the ET5 for games with split screen.
Some LG TVs with passive 3D (e.g the LM660) allow to see the split Screen as full Screen for both Players seeing only its own Screen. LG calls it "Dual Gaming". LG (and also Philips) sell so called Gaming Glasses with an L-L glass for the first Player and an R-R glas for the 2nd player.
Does the ET5 provide that Feature too or is it at least possible to work with the LG gaming glasses and a 3D mode for the TV that fits?
Sample game would be Dirt 3 on XBOX.

Thanks