A chance to talk to FlatpanelsHD's reviewers.
By backinblacklewis
I have ET5 37 inch one. Just made an account to say that so far knock on wood absolutely no flashlighting, tested in dark with black.jpg, no white angles or anything,...I had to exchange the original tv i bought, Panny g30 for this one because it was overheating , it's display was burning 50 celzius, and I had to fight them to exchange it - lol, fudging bleeps!( at the end there were like, "we are still going to sell it because there is nothing wrong with it", lol, I hope someone needs heating and TV, all in one...

The difference in SD and even HD picture is huge and it goes in favor of plasma, of course, but, you can play with color balances and gamma to make this TV's picture better....Still, it will never be as natural as Panny plasma, sadly...As far as for banding, I can't notice it yet, i watched a bit of Eurosport too,,will add here if I find anything...

I really have waisted so much time just in effort for Panasonic people to recognize that 50 degrees in spring coming off the TV panel is an obvious fault in design, that I don't recommend anyone buying another plasma without testing it in the shop for half an hour, just for overheating...And, if this lcd TV is doing anything like bleeding and flashlighting too much, demand to exchange the thing for a set like mine...I blame all this on manufacturing in China, or where ever they put them together, really shameful...
Good luck!
By ForceUser
Hi, you show us a picture of the calibrated "True Cinema" Mode, but you only share the parameters for the "cinema" mode. Could you also tell us the settings for more or less accurate colors in the "true cinema" mode? Thanks!
By Rasmus Larsen
jart wrote:Hello,

I'm new here.

i'm interested in getting this tv, maybe the 47 version. Before, I want to know if this panasonic already has new 3D algorithm (the one that LGs got in the middle of 2011) or only the original one.

Thanks
No, LG use their own algorithm. Panasonic also has a 3D algorithm that was originally designed for their plasma TVs. I'm not sure if it is the same one used in this TV.
By Rasmus Larsen
ForceUser wrote:Hi, you show us a picture of the calibrated "True Cinema" Mode, but you only share the parameters for the "cinema" mode. Could you also tell us the settings for more or less accurate colors in the "true cinema" mode? Thanks!
The picture modes are mostly just variations of each other. On LCD-TVs you can often use any mode and calibrate from here. The reason that we recommend users to use Cinema or True Cinema and then our calibrated settings on top of that, is just that the True Cinema/Cinema modes require less working (fewer settings need to be changed).

But you should be able to use both True Cinema and Cinema with the calibrated settings :) If you want to be sure, use True Cinema. That was what we used.
By Flummi
Hello,
I have a question about using the ET5 for games with split screen.
Some LG TVs with passive 3D (e.g the LM660) allow to see the split Screen as full Screen for both Players seeing only its own Screen. LG calls it "Dual Gaming". LG (and also Philips) sell so called Gaming Glasses with an L-L glass for the first Player and an R-R glas for the 2nd player.
Does the ET5 provide that Feature too or is it at least possible to work with the LG gaming glasses and a 3D mode for the TV that fits?
Sample game would be Dirt 3 on XBOX.

Thanks
By joeytcarlson
Thank you for the great review. I am actually looking at the TX-L37ETW5 model, and I was wondering how much better it is compared to the ET5, or if they are quite similar. How does the ETW5 models compare in your opinion to say the new Philips 5507?

Thank you for your time and knowledge.

Cheers
By Rasmus Larsen
Flummi wrote:Hello,
I have a question about using the ET5 for games with split screen.
Some LG TVs with passive 3D (e.g the LM660) allow to see the split Screen as full Screen for both Players seeing only its own Screen. LG calls it "Dual Gaming". LG (and also Philips) sell so called Gaming Glasses with an L-L glass for the first Player and an R-R glas for the 2nd player.
Does the ET5 provide that Feature too or is it at least possible to work with the LG gaming glasses and a 3D mode for the TV that fits?
Sample game would be Dirt 3 on XBOX.

Thanks
This should be possible if you select side-by-side 3D form the settings. Then you just need LG's Dual Play glasses - or something similar. On LG's TV we experienced a fair amount of crosstalk, however.
By Rasmus Larsen
joeytcarlson wrote:Thank you for the great review. I am actually looking at the TX-L37ETW5 model, and I was wondering how much better it is compared to the ET5, or if they are quite similar. How does the ETW5 models compare in your opinion to say the new Philips 5507?

Thank you for your time and knowledge.

Cheers
It it called ET5W or ETW5? I'm not familiar with ETW5 but if it's called ET5W I guess it is just a local model in your market and then it should be similar.

I have not had time to properly examine the 5507 range so I can't say yet.
By vsilvero
I have tried matching my settings with those you have suggested. However you have assigned a numerical value for contrast, colour , brightness , sharpness etc When I try to adjust these on my tv no number is displayed - just a horizontal bar which I can adjust. How do I know for example that when I adjust the colour bar I have set it to the equivalent of 30.
Thanks in anticipation of any advice
By dugg914
A quick (?) question for you please.
Is the Panasonic ET5 3D picture as good as, worse than, or the same as the LG 3D picture?
Thanks!
By bobbob
WOW Rasmus Larsen !!!! Are you sure you were reviewing the PANASONIC TX-L42ET5B ?????

I have owned a number of Panasonic Plasma TV's, and been very pleased with all of them, but when I decided I wanted 3D, following extensive research, decided on 'passive' 3D, & the Panasonic TX-L42ET5B as the best choice for me.
I am not interested in your calibration results, or any other detailed conclusions you may arrive at, what really matters to me (and 99.99999% of purchasers), is how the picture looks on their new telly !!!!!!
The blacks on the TX-L42ET5B are WAY better than the Panasonic Plasmas, the picture is Way clearer, and it uses approx 20% of the electricity of a plasma.
I tried the settings you recommended for the 'cinema' setting, and to be honest, they were 'OK' at best, but only when watching in a dark room, in any other setting they were useless. You can quote endless figures from your 'results', but what matters to the owner is how the picture on their new telly looks to them, and I am VERY happy with mine, and very glad that I changed from a plasma to this model. :p
By nirran
Hi! I'm new here and it's a great review! :)

One question tho, i have an TX-L47E5Y (not the ET5 model) but comparing these on panasonic website it looks like the biggest difference is the 3D(?)

Could i use the same settings on my TV as on the ET5 you think? Don't know so much about calibration :roll: But i think the picture looks good with these settings since I was lazy and just set the mode to dynamic before :/