A chance to talk to FlatpanelsHD's reviewers.
The idea here is that local dimming on a black screen shouldn't be taken as absolute reference for black levels in Sony's case. CNet have measured black levels on a black screen with local dimming on and found out that the black levels are far superior to any plasma. Still, that never occurs with normal content and in this case CNet stated that the overall black levels for the Sony model are on par with Panasonic's ST50 plasma, which is indeed good news. However, the LED LCD still has clouding problems and trailing artifacts.
Xenocyde wrote:The idea here is that local dimming on a black screen shouldn't be taken as absolute reference for black levels in Sony's case. CNet have measured black levels on a black screen with local dimming on and found out that the black levels are far superior to any plasma. Still, that never occurs with normal content and in this case CNet stated that the overall black levels for the Sony model are on par with Panasonic's ST50 plasma, which is indeed good news. However, the LED LCD still has clouding problems and trailing artifacts.
That is what i said....
I get what you are saying, most led lcds even if they do not mention local dimming, dim the light output on a blank screen making a black level measurement pointless for that reason.
My point is that even content with light and dark objects or letterbox content, switching LED Dynamic Control (local dimming) from off to low, to standard, did make a difference. Not as much as with a full black screen obviously.

I stand by what i said.

Aaron
How does HX750 stands against HX850 in terms of 2D Picture quality - Colour accuracy and black level ?
Both are dubbed as Dynamic Edge LED types with Local Dimming in HX 850 and Frame Dimming in HX750.
I don't know whether these are anyway relevant/significant for Edge-lit !

Only other difference under the hood is the Processor. X-Reality Pro vs X-Reality.
By so1713
Hello,

I have a couple of questions about your calibrated settings;

1. Your settings don't include the 'MPEG noise reduction' setting. I assume it to be 'OFF'. Am I correct?

2. As for the 'Clear White', 'Live Color', and 'Detail Enhancer' your settings say +1,

but I believe the options for those setting are 'Off', 'Low', Medium', and 'High' in HX850 models in some regions.

Did you mean 'Low' by +1 ?

I'd appreciate any comments. Have a good day.
so1713 wrote:Hello,

I have a couple of questions about your calibrated settings;

1. Your settings don't include the 'MPEG noise reduction' setting. I assume it to be 'OFF'. Am I correct?

2. As for the 'Clear White', 'Live Color', and 'Detail Enhancer' your settings say +1,

but I believe the options for those setting are 'Off', 'Low', Medium', and 'High' in HX850 models in some regions.

Did you mean 'Low' by +1 ?

I'd appreciate any comments. Have a good day.
1. Yes, OFF :)

2. Those should be left unchanged. That's an error. I'll correct it. Sorry.
By sjg
Hi Rasmus, This is a great website. I have been reading the reviews here for 3+ years and always find them helpful.

Recently bought the HX850. Wanted the Panny ST50 but cannot go bigger than 46" and am in the US.

I am sensitive to flicker from fluorescent lighting and 60hz refresh rates on pc monitors. I am finding that the new Sony HDTV can also cause headache, fatigue, nausea. Viewing position is 8ft in a low lit room.

I am curious to discover the best settings to eliminate this reaction. It is hard to find technical information on what some of the advanced settings actually do. If you or anyone else here has some suggestions it would be most appreciated.

I have turned off all advanced features -- but wonder if there some are more likely to cause viewing/flicker fatigue than others. Many thanks, Stephanie