A chance to talk to FlatpanelsHD's reviewers.
By MauroM
Why you leave OFF Led Dynamic control??This is an edge led with local dimming and we want to know how this dimming works!! The black is 0,06 without dimming...GREAT! But with dimming??
Other reviews said that the 3D of this tv is better of the 2011 models...for you is the same...is strange this thing!
Can you tell us more about the overdrive in gaming?? I cannot understand too much at this point.
Thx!

PS: HX 920 too haven't the award...but for a lot of people this is the best led togheter with Toshiba ZL1...
By MauroM
Very strange decision...Measure black level without Dimming!!! If 0,06 is without Dimming, maibe the HX855 with dimming ON have better black of the Samsung ES8000.
MauroM wrote:Why you leave OFF Led Dynamic control??This is an edge led with local dimming and we want to know how this dimming works!! The black is 0,06 without dimming...GREAT! But with dimming??
The same. Except for on a completely black screen. But how often do you watch a completely dark screen? I have discussed this in many reviews prior to this one. Local dimming on an edge LED model is pointless.
MauroM wrote:Other reviews said that the 3D of this tv is better of the 2011 models...for you is the same...is strange this thing!
Can you tell us more about the overdrive in gaming?? I cannot understand too much at this point.
Thx!

PS: HX 920 too haven't the award...but for a lot of people this is the best led togheter with Toshiba ZL1...
For most reviewers "this year is always slightly better than last year" but I just report what I find. I try to help you guys, nothing else.

What do you want to know about the overdrive trailing? What overdrive trailing is or how bad it was?
MauroM wrote:Jamama, Rasmus has reviewed the 855 with Dimming OFF!!! We don't know why...Very strange decision!!
We are waiting his response about that!
Relax, please. Why do you even want to have local dimming on an edge LED based TV? Do you know how it actually works? :)

For a direct LED, local dimming is beneficial for sure, but not on an edge LED based TV. It is simple logic, you cannot dim a screen in zones if the light is coming in from the side. The only zones available are those next to the edge of the screen, and that doesn't equate to "local dimming". Sure, Sony calls it local dimming to trick you - every edge LED manufacturer does - but that does make it right.
jamama wrote:Hello Rasmus,

Many thanks for the review.

In this review CNET http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/ ... y;paginate

CNET has measure a black level of 0.000163444 ftL = 0.00056 cd/m2

There is a 10714 % difference with measurement of Flatpanels.

Although CNET uses mode cinema 2 and LED Dynamic Control: Standard it is imposible a difference of 10714 %.

What can you say about that?
Because they fell into the trap set up by the manufacturer (Sony here, but everyone does it). They have measured black levels with global dimming on a black screen. Black depth in real scenes is nowhere near this level because it only happens when the entire backlight is dimmed. Measuring black depth on a completely black screen is misleading; mostly for you users.
The CNET review also specifies that overall black depth of the Sony model is close to Panasonic ST50. Don't be mislead by the geek sheet they provide there. That measurement is indeed taken from a completely black screen with local dimming turned on, and that never occurs with any content.
By MauroM
The dimming of this Sony works very well!! Is not like the others edge led. It works ina different way. For me this Dimming must be ON. This Tv is STUNNING with the Dimming ON!
MauroM wrote:The dimming of this Sony works very well!! Is not like the others edge led. It works ina different way. For me this Dimming must be ON. This Tv is STUNNING with the Dimming ON!
No it doesn't. It is exactly the same principle as any other edge LED. HX850 has 8 overall dimming zones - hardly "local dimming".

I'm glad that you like your Sony HX850. It is a good TV but "local dimming" is only available on HX920 - and other backlit LED models.
By Gradus
Hello, Rasmus!

Thanks for the review. I'm not a native speaker but I always read your reviews with great pleasure. Your style is very clear to me and I understand almost every technical issue right away. So as your replies here. I cannot always say the same about other sites, though they go through the same things in their reviews.

I'd like to ask if overdrive trailing is too visible on this TV. Does it really disturb you when you play console games or should you look narrowly at the screen to notice it?

And one more thing. Is the stand really unadjustable? I mean, guys on our forums say that this TV is tilted 6 degree back and cannot be adjusted to stay in vertical position. Is it true? I mean the European stand.

Thanks in advance.
Rasmus Larsen wrote:
MauroM wrote:The dimming of this Sony works very well!! Is not like the others edge led. It works ina different way. For me this Dimming must be ON. This Tv is STUNNING with the Dimming ON!
No it doesn't. It is exactly the same principle as any other edge LED. HX850 has 8 overall dimming zones - hardly "local dimming".

I'm glad that you like your Sony HX850. It is a good TV but "local dimming" is only available on HX920 - and other backlit LED models.
Hi Rasmus,

Thank you for the review.

While i have not seen this tv, i am sorry but i have to disagree with you.

I get what you are saying, most led lcds even if they do not mention local dimming, dim the light output on a blank screen making a black level measurement pointless for that reason.

The Sony 46HX823 had 'local dimming' and it made a difference, yes certain scenes it wasn't as effective as a full led backlit set but it did help.

It made Edge bleed disappear to the naked eye and the slight clouding that my set had go. It also improved black levels even on content with dark and bright content, i don't know how, as you say it is lit from the edges, but it made blacks appear deeper.

Maybe on a meter they would measure the same but if the results are pleasing to the general public me included, then that is great.

So i don't see the point in constantly arguing about it, maybe with test patterns in a dark room it doesn't make a difference, but with general content it does.

Aaron