A chance to talk to FlatpanelsHD's reviewers.
By Fuzzyduck
Regarding the buzzing. I've had the 50" for a week and the buzzing on bright scenes is terrible. Anything with alot of white I can hear the buzz over normal volume 15 feet away. Dark scenes are fine and the buzz is undetectable. I've even placed a thick towel over the back to see if it was just the acoustics of it being in corner, but it was still noticeable. Would you say that’s normal? Or an issue? Trying to watch Frozen Planet is like sitting with a room with bees :D
Apart from that the TV is give a fantastic picture with very dark blacks.
By evovii
Hi Rasmus,

Thank you for an excellent review as usual. If you look at other picture parameters except for pure black levels how would you compare the VT50 to the Kuro 9? I know that black level is important for the overall picture quallity and affects other parameters as well but more in general. And obviously not taking 3D, smart TV etc. that the Kuro did not have into account.

Also, will you review the ST50? Other reviews seam to suggest that it is almost too good to be true when you take the money into account and not far at all behind the GT and VT in picture quallity and black levels once calibrated (since it lacks the THX mode). It also comes in 55" and 65" wich is excellent :)

/Thomas
By Rasmus Larsen
Fuzzyduck wrote:Regarding the buzzing. I've had the 50" for a week and the buzzing on bright scenes is terrible. Anything with alot of white I can hear the buzz over normal volume 15 feet away. Dark scenes are fine and the buzz is undetectable. I've even placed a thick towel over the back to see if it was just the acoustics of it being in corner, but it was still noticeable. Would you say that’s normal? Or an issue? Trying to watch Frozen Planet is like sitting with a room with bees :D
Apart from that the TV is give a fantastic picture with very dark blacks.
I have just heard from 3-4 users on our Danish forums and none of them have any issues.

My opinion is that if you can hear it from a typical viewing distance and it is distracting, it is an issue that the retailer should fix. But I'm obviously on the consumer side :-)
By Rasmus Larsen
evovii wrote:Hi Rasmus,

Thank you for an excellent review as usual. If you look at other picture parameters except for pure black levels how would you compare the VT50 to the Kuro 9? I know that black level is important for the overall picture quallity and affects other parameters as well but more in general. And obviously not taking 3D, smart TV etc. that the Kuro did not have into account.

Also, will you review the ST50? Other reviews seam to suggest that it is almost too good to be true when you take the money into account and not far at all behind the GT and VT in picture quallity and black levels once calibrated (since it lacks the THX mode). It also comes in 55" and 65" wich is excellent :)

/Thomas
We have had a very long discussion at the Danish forums but my opinion is that VT50 is very close, and I can understand why some would rate it reference over Pioneer KURO this year (I cannot understand how reviewers could do it with the VT20, however). But in my eyes the Pioneer KURO still has an edge over VT50 when you add up all the factors. And VT50 is definitely the best plasma TV from Panasonic ever.

No, sorry. We have no plans to review the ST50 but I hear (from reviewers) that it offers great value-for-money picture quality, and has many of the VT50 picture characteristics. I have seen it a few times and my impression is that picture quality looks impressive for a TV in this price range, yeah. The Louver filter in VT50 makes a difference but if you mostly watch TV in a dim room, ST50 looks like a great TV :)