A chance to talk to FlatpanelsHD's reviewers.
By Johhhny
Hi Rasmus,

thanks for the informative Review. As I am looking forward to buy a 65" plasma I dont know what would be the better choice: the ST60 or the last year premium model VT50? I can get both of them for the almost same price.

I mainly watch DVDs and Blu Rays and play PS3 games. The higher input lag of the ST60 speaks a little bit more for the VT50. But what is about the picture quality? Has it improved so much for 2013 in the ST series that it is better then last years VT?

It is a moderate bright living room. Though mostly watching in the evening.

Thanks in advance for your opinion.
Regards
John
By accord09
Exellent review Rasmus :)

In your opinion , is the st60 a big improvement over the vt20 ? is it noticeably brighter , blacker , sharper ?

thanks in advance .
By Rasmus Larsen
Johhhny: Sorry for the late reply. Which one did you end up buying?

accord09: I think it is an improvement in picture quality, yes, but not in terms of build quality and looks. VT20 looks a bit more "high-end". Panasonic seems to basically move performance of the previous year's VT/GT into the new year's ST series. :)
By argumon
I now have a 50GT30 and I am looking for a larger screen. As there are not GT's beyond 50'', how will the ST60 compare to my GT30? I am only interested in image quality.
TIA
By Rasmus Larsen
I think the ST60 is actually a step forward compared to your GT30. It still has most of the same great picture characteristics, but has even deeper blacks. The front filter might not be as good. I can't recall which filter the GT30 used.
By barriwhite
Rasmus,

Great review. It's also the first I've come across that acknowledges the dithering problem in a detailed and honest way.

I bought a ST60 based on other reviews, without being aware of this being inherent to plasma technology and without spending enough time in store to notice it.

Since I couldn't find anything about it online (it seems many plasma adopters chose to deny dithering even exists!) I was thinking my unit could be defective. Since I can't easily return the tv, being Canadian and having bought it in the US, let's just say I wasn't too happy about the lack of information on the matter.

Now knowing it's probably "normal", I think I'll be able to live with it, especially since it's not visible from my normal 9 feet watching distance.

However, would you have settings to recommend to minimize dithering?

Thanks!
By Rasmus Larsen
Hi barriwhite

Yeah, I have noticed that, too. Many reviewers seem to just have accepted it, and seems to ignore it. In my opinion it is a significant issue, and oftentimes I also notice it myself when gaming on plasma TVs. I often sit relatively close to the TV when gaming on the PS3 :)

Unfortunately there is no way to really minimize it. It has to be solved on a panel technology level, so it is a job for Panasonic's engineers.
By Whatamada
Hey Rasmus and a merry christmas!

Since it´s the holidays I´m about looking for a new TV in all of the sales.
I own a Panasonic G30, which actually surprised me since it has great picture for almost nothing in money.

My question to you is if there´s a significant improvement in the ST60 contra my G30?
Or should I just spring for the VT60, it´s still €400 more for the VT.

Best regards,
Ulf