A chance to talk to FlatpanelsHD's reviewers.
By wesslan
Just got my 65" VT60, damn it's huge :D Had a 50" before.

Rasmus, if and when connecting the tv to a PC what would be the correct settings for HDMI RGB Range?

If one thinks default THX cinema has to much color (faces and such) can one adjust that with color temperature or just dial down colorsetting or does that mess with the whole?
By enrique
Hi Rasmus,

first of all, thanx for your great review!

I am deciding between 65VT or 65ST. and there are a couple of issues that bother me, I hope yo can help me:

1.- air gap between glass - panel

I currently own a P50V10, which had black deterioration issues and also is one-sheet of glass design, so I can see double image from the sides. This design is the same for VT60, but not for the ST60, which does not have any gap between the panel and the front filter, like ZT60.

Is this a real problem in VT60? how does this fact compare to ST60?

2.- luminance levels

VT60 may be one or two notches better than ST60, but if luminance is much lower maybe the resulting image may not be worth, providing the ST60 much more "punch" than the VT, is this the case ? I am wondering if regarding luminance levels, what's happening with Samsung PS64F8500 in respect to Panasonic plasmas could be the same as ST60 in respect to VT60...

Thanx a lot for your help
Best regards
Enrique
By Rasmus Larsen
wesslan wrote:Just got my 65" VT60, damn it's huge :D Had a 50" before.

Rasmus, if and when connecting the tv to a PC what would be the correct settings for HDMI RGB Range?

If one thinks default THX cinema has to much color (faces and such) can one adjust that with color temperature or just dial down colorsetting or does that mess with the whole?
Depends on the PC but first of all you need to consider if you want to run the PC as a "PC" or a media center for video playback. If you want VT60 to act as a PC monitor you can output a PC signal from your graphic card (see the graphic card settings) and then remember to tell the TV that on the HDMI input where the PC is connected the TV should use PC color levels (can be selected for each input in the menus). If you want your PC to acts as a media center send out "video level colors" and leave the TV settings unchanged :)

Congratulations on the new TV.
By Rasmus Larsen
enrique wrote:1.- air gap between glass - panel

I currently own a P50V10, which had black deterioration issues and also is one-sheet of glass design, so I can see double image from the sides. This design is the same for VT60, but not for the ST60, which does not have any gap between the panel and the front filter, like ZT60.

Is this a real problem in VT60? how does this fact compare to ST60?

2.- luminance levels

VT60 may be one or two notches better than ST60, but if luminance is much lower maybe the resulting image may not be worth, providing the ST60 much more "punch" than the VT, is this the case ? I am wondering if regarding luminance levels, what's happening with Samsung PS64F8500 in respect to Panasonic plasmas could be the same as ST60 in respect to VT60...
1. No, it is not a problem. At least I don't think so. The one-sheet-of-glass design was very different in the V10 because the actual panel had air gaps. VT60 has no such in-panel air gaps.

2. I think the louver filter works great to reduce in-panel reflections so the final outcome is probably the same as the ST60 has no such filter. And besides that, luminance levels are not that different on the TV.

Samsung's F8500 should have higher luminance than Panasonic's plasma TVs. We will confirm that in our F8500 review soon :)
By Rasmus Larsen
I think VT60 still offers an improvement. Not only because of the improved filter but also in areas such as color accuracy and a few others. But I also believe that it is a relatively minor step up relative to the price difference.

ST60 is an excellent TV, nothing less. And yes, it can get even brighter but it lacks the filter so VT60 is still a better performer in brightly lit rooms.
By prodan
What settings did you use on the PS3 when calibrating this TV? Full or Limited range? Which Panel Luminance setting? Thanks!
By neel
Can you tell more about the 50hz issue you are talking about in this review ? What is it exactly ?
Was it completely fixed with the VT60 or just improved ?
Does the ST60 have the fix too or just the VT60 ?

Thanks.