A chance to talk to FlatpanelsHD's reviewers.
PG1 wrote:washed out colors when xvColor was used

thats great ;)

everyone with a non 4k sony tv gets washed out colors so it cant be a true xvcolor signal
No, non-XvColor TV will see completely normal Rec.709 colors. xvColor is encoded as for example "Red +/- saturation". Mastered in 4K Blu-rays will playback as normal Blu-rays on TVs without xvColor support. These TVs just ignore the added information.

It is a true xvColor signal and encoding.
By PG1
you need a new Triluminos TV from SONY to get the extra colors
it doesnt matter if your OLD TV supports xvcolor
it gets fucked up when you enable xvcolor
Pre-orders for Oct 4th on their site. I got an RMA to send back the Sony w900 today with the intent of getting the 65xbr850. At IFA, CNET continues to trash talk the hell out of all 4Ks. Every article has a link and reiterates 4K is Stupid. Yet consumers are buying the sets. This often cited article, chart and calculator suggests its optically impossible to appreciate 4K, even on a 65" at normal viewing distance 9'. http://carltonbale.com/1080p-does-matter/

Yet, consumers seem to be buying the 4K Sony in droves notwithstanding the price cuts. 4K is actually pushing Sony TV into the black for the first time. So why is that all the leading professionals except you maintain there is no benefit. And you can take that as something of a rhetorical question.

Or put another way, a play on words of an American expression as regards the X8/9, What's RIGHT w/this picture?
I know the Carlton Bale chart and we have also cited it here on Flatpanels. However, it is theory, and that is important to remember. It assumes that a TV is perfect. Perfect clarity, perfect details, perfect colors (and full color gamut), no artefacts etc. But no TVs are like that, not even close. All TVs have color issues, all TVs have pixel issues (such as screen doors), blurring during motion, etc. All these things affect the perception of detail. The human eye is complex, but for example color plays a major role in detail perception, and with Rec.709 colors it is simply not possible to reach the limits of our human eye. The human eye is dynamic, and it's complex.

The Carlton Bale chart is a good indicator, but it shouldn't be regarded as nothing more than that. Also, remember that all TVs have motion blurring issues to some extent. So why do people consider 4K TVs irrelevant, when they actually reduce for example blurring effect? As wella s other issues. Or put in another way, they hide some of the shortcomings of display technologies due to the increase in resolution. That’s just one example. My point is that TVs are much more than resolution. It is easy to comprehend the concept of pixels, it’s just numbers, and many people - including CNET - fall in that trap. It is far more difficult to relate it to other factors such as colors, or even how the human eye works.

Let's hear your thoughts on the X8 when you receive it, Richard! :-)
I'm actually undecided between getting the new 55 inch sony 4k xbr-850 or the 65 inch sony w850 HDTV from the new models that are coming out in October? The 4K TV is about $900 more in the US, 3500. The conventional wisdom is that it's a no-brainer get the 65 inch. However based on what you said above, I'm curious as to what you would do?
I'm reading lots of complaints about clouding and bleeding in customers who has bought this set.

Sony should be more carefully with its flagship.