A chance to talk to FlatpanelsHD's reviewers.
Thank you for the (as always) great review!

I have a question - the review says the TV has a reflective panel, but I was looking at the W805B in a store recently and noted that the panel was in fact matte.
In fact it was by far the least reflective panel I have seen, almost like the old LCD panels.

You could not see any clear reflections, at best only some ambient light. Are we talking about the same model, or are there multiple configurations perhaps?
dkazaz wrote:I have a question - the review says the TV has a reflective panel, but I was looking at the W805B in a store recently and noted that the panel was in fact matte.
In fact it was by far the least reflective panel I have seen, almost like the old LCD panels.

You could not see any clear reflections, at best only some ambient light. Are we talking about the same model, or are there multiple configurations perhaps?
That's surprising. Well, it is not as glossy as for example Samsung's LED models, but our W805B sample was definitely not a matte LCD panel.

Which size did you check out in the store?
markiz wrote::x
Standard mode 107cdm? May be enough to test with the included light sensor!
LIGHT SENSOR OFF!!!
Yes, I forget to turn off the light sensor before do by out-of-box tests and didn't want to do it over again. We don't care too much about the out-of-box settings as they are - as you you - horrible. We quickly move on and look at some of the other color profiles.
Rasmus Larsen wrote:
dkazaz wrote:I have a question - the review says the TV has a reflective panel, but I was looking at the W805B in a store recently and noted that the panel was in fact matte.

That's surprising. Well, it is not as glossy as for example Samsung's LED models, but our W805B sample was definitely not a matte LCD panel.

Which size did you check out in the store?
I've seen the 40 and 50" models - both have a largely unreflective panel. No, it's not really like the old LCD's but its the closest to them I've seen.

To be more specific - on my W905 and the majority of Sony/Samsung high end TV's in recent years, you can practically see your face on the glass. On this one you cannot see any specific reflection, just ambient light.
Samsung makes some mid-range TV's (like the f6500) with a "semi-glossy" finish that still more reflective than the w805B.

In case the location makes a difference, I'm talking about European models.
By Rasmus Larsen
Okay, we might just have a difference reference. To me a matte LCD panel is, well matte - like in the old days :-)

W8 does not use a glass front - those are the worst, surely - but I would still characterize it as glossy. I've seen many others like it during reviews. I don't think this type of panel is that uncommon. In our dark room we saw some light reflections, but in our bright room (we test in both) I could clearly see the windows and curtains behind me. Try to take a look at photos in the Functionality section. Click to make them larger.
By dkazaz
I've only seen in showrooms but they were fairly bright and honestly I did not see the kind of reflection you are talking about.

I will have another look over the weekend and post back.
Hello Rasmus,

Do you know if the 42 inch version of the w829 has the same VA type panel as the active 3D 50 inch you reviewed? Professional reviews peg the black level of the active 3D w829 as 0.042, which approximately matches the 42w705. My concern would be that as the 42 inch w829 uses passive 3D, it might have a completely different panel and thus inferior blacks to both of those screens. I'd rather buy a 705 with proven levels than take a chance on a variant panel in the 42w829 that might be from LG and not the AUO one that seems to be in the other TV's. Having said that though, I have seen the 42w705 and 42w829 side by side in a shop environment and could not see noticeably inferior black response.

Many thanks indeed,

E.
Ethanc wrote:Do you know if the 42 inch version of the w829 has the same VA type panel as the active 3D 50 inch you reviewed?
I'm still trying to confirm this, but I haven't been able to so far.

But VA panels with passive 3D certainly exist. Sony had 4K TVs with VA panels and passive 3D last year.
Thanks Rasmus, I would be very interested to find out. On asking Sony technical all I got was that the panel supplier and type was confidential, which is understandable, but not if the performance of a screen with the same model number differs depending on size and the manufacturer has not clearly stated the difference.
Hi,

I have a Sony KDL-42W805B.

I put the TV in the Wall, and it was not easy because i want to be able to turn the TV 90 degree. and this i how i did it. I use the WALL 2245 - Full-Motion TV Wall Mount (white).

I adapt the TV to Work properly. the picture is self explanatory

best regards,
John