A chance to talk to FlatpanelsHD's reviewers.
By Torben Rasmussen
Panasonic has offered a second look at another specimen to verify the inhomogenuity and color accuracy of the CX800, so I will be taking another look next week. Stay tuned.
By rastl
Do you have high shutter speed photos available for scanning backlight visualisation and some infos about IFC setting dependencies and brightness impact ?
By Torben Rasmussen
No, but I would have to say that you have to loooove the artificial soap opera look to wanna use anything higher than "minimum" for IFC. The measurement you see is using minimum at the specified LED-setting.

Regarding clouding... what can I say? It's a gamble, but we didn't expect it to be so for these backlit models to the same extend. The lower right corner of our model was the worst (which shows in the pictures), but I was more annoyed with the rather low viewing angles as they worsened the matter and made the bright spots more visible. By far the worst performer in this regard of the 2015-models I have testet so far.

Note that we aim for a gamma of 2.2, which I know several of the other online sites don't. They tend to adopt the trend of going for 2.4, but you really need to be in a darkened room to appreciate this. The black crush is too obvious for us to recommend.
By Perljack
Thanks for the review. I guess I'll cross off this TV from my short list. It looks a bit too expensive for its performance, considering that it does not fully support HDR nor WCG.
By Jamessh1
Torben Rasmussen wrote:Panasonic has offered a second look at another specimen to verify the inhomogenuity and color accuracy of the CX800, so I will be taking another look next week. Stay tuned.

Do we have an eta on when to expect an updated review?
By Jamessh1
Perljack wrote:Thanks for the review. I guess I'll cross off this TV from my short list. It looks a bit too expensive for its performance, considering that it does not fully support HDR nor WCG.

TV DOES have WCG and is getting HDR via a FW Update addressing both of your noted concerns
By Perljack
Jamessh1 wrote:TV DOES have WCG and is getting HDR via a FW Update addressing both of your noted concerns
Yeah but looking at the DCI graph in the review it appears that the TV cannot reproduce the full DCI space, which is a bit disappointing to me. And HDR with only 18 zones? I'm just not convinced that it will work satisfactory.
By Jamessh1
The 65"
Has been shown to reproduce 95-98+% of the DCI (depending on review site) and comes with 32 zones. That May be a consideration of you want something bigger or there are always Sony and adding offerings with a better FALD system.

Still waiting for a reviewer to update us with the replacement set performance.
By Torben Rasmussen
It wasn't a replacement set. We just got a chance to see the 65" at a store and bring some equipment with us for measuring.

The RGB and gamma curve looked exactly the same for the 65". The store wasn't dim enough to evaluate clouding or viewing angles.

I will add the comments to the review, but there is little point in posting the RGB measurements. If I was to redo the calibration I would probably go for the Movie profile instead to avoid tuning the contrast lever.
By Jamessh1
Torben Rasmussen wrote:It wasn't a replacement set. We just got a chance to see the 65" at a store and bring some equipment with us for measuring.

The RGB and gamma curve looked exactly the same for the 65". The store wasn't dim enough to evaluate clouding or viewing angles.

I will add the comments to the review, but there is little point in posting the RGB measurements. If I was to redo the calibration I would probably go for the Movie profile instead to avoid tuning the contrast lever.
The gamma curve issues are noted by owners with calibration tools that found using APL patterns for tuning with max dimming on was the only way to maintain a mostly linear gamma curve and color accuracy while getting maximum contrast . Shame you won't have the ability to try similar methodology since the TV might be a bit more capable than your testing produced.

Anyways thanks for the update.
By Torben Rasmussen
I did use an APL pattern, but not with the dynamic backlight turned on. The RGB curve is shown in the attachment for the "Movie" profile. The THX profile is worse than this. (I didn't tweak anything here - just measured the profile).

As I wouldn't run the TV with the dynamic backlight turned on I don't agree that our measurings are not representative.
Attachments
65CX800RGB.JPG
65CX800RGB.JPG (61.29 KiB) Viewed 30341 times
By Pixelz
I will buy a 4K TV soon (replacing my hd-ready Panasonic 42" plasma) and was thinking of the TC-50CX800 as it has a reasonably good price for its features. Since you tested the 65" model and was not too enthusiastic about viewing angles I was wondering if I should reconsider. Might the viewing angle issue be less of an issue on the 50" or would the Sony 55X85C be a better option despite its Android TV bugs?
By Torben Rasmussen
Viewing angles on VA-panels will always be a pain no matter which model you choose. We couldn't really test the viewing angles on the 65" CX800 as we only got a chance to look at it in a shop - we reviewed the 55" - so I can't give you a clear answer if this is any different between the two sizes.