TVs, including LCD/LED, plasma, OLED, and more. Ask for buying advice, or help others, share experiences etc.
By bgsd_4332
I already have a 65" OLED in my media room. I'd love to get one for the kitchen & bedroom simply because they're so thin & use less energy...& they look fantastic.

Are there plans to manufacture Oled's smaller than 60"? I'd like a 30" for a 40" model? I don't need 4K, just 1080P. :/
By Steve
bgsd_4332 wrote:I already have a 65" OLED in my media room. I'd love to get one for the kitchen & bedroom simply because they're so thin & use less energy...& they look fantastic.

Are there plans to manufacture Oled's smaller than 60"? I'd like a 30" for a 40" model? I don't need 4K, just 1080P. :/

Good question bgsd. I don't know the answer, but I can outline a business case for ten, if anybody is listening.

There would be much demand for them as PC monitors for professional and gaming monitors, laptops, and medical diagnostics displays. In professional markets like video, movies, photography, cad, design and even desktop publishing, it is worth buying a DCI calibrated 30-42 inch OLED version rather than LCD version for the $2k 4k-$5k 8k these low end professional PC displays cost. This gives a lot of mark up room to do it, and makes smaller displays panel parts available for the domestic market. Unfortunately the market is moving to rec2020 color, and the manufacturers are doing themselves a disservice by not offering displays to address it, as these displays are needed today to develop rec2020 content four the consumer rec2020 premium uhd consumer display marketing push tomorrow after the present DCI color marketing runs thin.

The issues that have held back OLED from small TV/monitors have be durability, price, and image retention. I understand tat static graphic image retention has been dealt with adequately to make static graphic computer use practical. I don't know if this affects primary Oled colors much (not the sort of Oled in large TV's today, but like the smart phone versions). OLED has been costly to make compared o LCD, so much so Samsung gave up trying to make big OLED TV's. LG one colour OLED is still expensive. So, to get better returns primary went small and one colour with filter energy hungry went big, leaving panels your size in the lurch. However, there is a pricey market for such sized panels, to justify making them, and also using therm for TV's, plus manufacturing efficiencies should ave increased. Durability has been an big issue in the past. Even up to a decade or so ago, you could expect an actual primary Oled set to last a year or so of modest viewing before the color balance would be so bad (I mean terrible) you would need to replace it. The different primary compounds had different half life spans, so as one dimmed in particular you lost color balance. The only solution would be to have run the others lower to compensate, but oled was not that bright then anyway, plus different pixels would age differently with different usage from different usage over time (imagine blue going off in patches in the top of your screen, because that is were the sky normally is). Now the situation is much better in primary OLED, and we have the filtered one color OLED option. So again, mid sized panels are perhaps doable by LG and the handful of other small OLED makers around. Incidentally direct electrical drive QLED has even greater durability issues, but they can simply coat microleds displays with the quantum dots to much higher durability instead.

1080p might be cheaper on the market again.

So, there is much room there for it to be done, but it needs the incentive and motivation
By Steve
bgsd_4332 wrote:I already have a 65" OLED in my media room. I'd love to get one for the kitchen & bedroom simply because they're so thin & use less energy...& they look fantastic.

And we have a winner bgsd, just released today, a 30 inch Del Oled monitor.

http://www.pcgamer.com/dell-is-finally- ... d-monitor/

Here is a link that talks about the tech I mentioned, with mention of 14 and 15 inch laptop Oled displays. So, yes, these should be able to be repackaged, but are too small.

https://pcmonitors.info/articles/oled-monitors/

Now we can point put how it would be better if they were 1/4 the price.