PC monitors of all kinds.
By mike
Hi,

I am trying to determine the best monitors for editing HD video under $300 (USD). I plan to use at least two in a multi-monitor setup. This is what I believe to be a good list of features in order of priority:

0) 23 to 24" (Limited size due to multiple monitor stand)
1) HD resolution or better (1920x1080)
2) Good color gamut (saturation) greater than 72% NTSC **
3) Good response time (2ms)
4) 1000:1 contrast ratio or better
5) DVI input
6) Low power (Room is small with poor ventilation... Computer already generates too much heat)

Am I missing anything?

** I noticed most monitors do not list information about color gamut. I found a few on newegg listing color saturation: Acer H243Hbmid (72%), ASUS MK241H (92%) and HP DreamColor LP2480zx (133%!). I thought 72% was typical; the MK241H burns 3x the power of the H243Hbmid; and the LP2480zx is $2k USD! Is it worth worrying about color gamut or is it either too power hungry or pricey to be worth the trade off (provided it can even achieve a decent response time).

I'm almost ready to go with the Acer H243Hbmid due to its relatively low cost, fast response time (2ms GTG) and ultra low power usage (30W). Would I be making a mistake?
Don't put too much thought into the higher colour gamut. 72 % is best for working with sRGB so unless you have a hardware calibrator and want to work with another colour gamut, 92 % or 100 % colóur gamuts will actually reproduce too saturated colours.

A good monitor for your need could be the HP LP2475W or the NEC 2490WUXi. Both feature a H-IPS panel very well suited for graphic and video editing.

The thing with response time is that you can't have top picture quality and a super fast response time. Only the TN panels have super fast response time but these are not suited for video editing.
By mike
Hi Rasmus,

Thanks for the feedback.
Rasmus Larsen wrote:The thing with response time is that you can't have top picture quality and a super fast response time. Only the TN panels have super fast response time but these are not suited for video editing.
For video editing, is a fast response time more useful especially if 72% gamut is good enough?

Note: Only 10% of my time will be video editing while the rest of the time will be productivity (web development and surfing) on this home computer. Thus, more monitors will be better in the long run than one great color reproducing monitor. Still, I was thinking there could be a monitor within my budget which was better suited for the 10% activity of highest video demand. :-(
The H-IPS are not slow but they are not as fast as the fastest TN panels. They are very well suited for video editing and actually most monitors based on H-IPS panels are aimed for such tasks.

Maybe the Dell 2209WA could an alternative. It does not have the same high resolution but features a e-IPS panel. The price is right for your budget as well.
http://clkuk.tradedoubler.com/click?p=7 ... 253D198660
Rasmus and Mike,

Forgive me for hijacking the thread....Rasmus, like Mike I am thinking a buying a monitor around 22 inches which will also be used for video editing. The camcorder I just bought records videos with a resolution 1920 x 1080 resolution - however, the Dell you recommended has a lower resolution. Is this a problem? How would the Dell be able to display a video with a resolution higher than its native resolution? Would the quality of the display of the video degrade? Would it be more difficult to edit?

Thanks
i did a google search of the best video editing software, and i got exactly what i wanted psshhh windows movie maker was number one and the rest were .s.h.i.t. so in your internet explorations what is the best video editing software you have seen? free or not if not free tell me if you got a crack or code for it