A chance to talk to FlatpanelsHD's reviewers.
By Maximumbass88
Good evening!

Nice review. But regarding the calibration settings that were suggested, any reason why there was no settings for the Colour Management (Hue & Saturation) menu?

Regards...
By BigBasti
I wanted to buy the Sony 52Z5500 but then read the review of the G20 or GW20 how the Pana is called in Germany and now I am not longer sure which one to chose.

Which one would you chose ?

Is the Sony 52Z5500 better than the P50GW20 ?

Please help me !! :-)
By juggler
Is it crazy for me to use the G20 as a computer monitor?

It will not be my main computer. mostly I will play Tivo and Movies through the computer, but everyonce in a while, I will have it on for a few hours.

Will the orbiting pixel feature be enough to prevent burn in?
By ceerobert
Hello Rasmus & All,

I'm thinking of buying the P50G20 and I am wondering if anyone has got G20 series to play MP3's via DLNA (wi-fi)?

I've just telephoned Panasonic today and asked them about playing MP3's over DLNA and they said it was not possible on last years TV's but the functionality has been included in the G20 range (I’m not so sure?).

Is there anyone with a G20 who can confirm this?

How about yourself Rasmus; any inside knowledge on this one?

Thanks for your time,

Rob
By Rasmus Larsen
plasmoid wrote:Thank you for answering.

Have you got news on the black level rising on the G20? Have you passed the 600h limit?
Yeah and I saw nothing alarming. The reading was the same, but I would probably need a third decimal to see if any very minor changes had occurred. But I can say for sure that my G20 sample didn't take that serious step in black levels that some of the G10 were programmed and reported to do.
Black levels are the same according to my equipment (two decimals) and visibly the same, too.
By Rasmus Larsen
Maximumbass88 wrote:Good evening!

Nice review. But regarding the calibration settings that were suggested, any reason why there was no settings for the Colour Management (Hue & Saturation) menu?

Regards...
The THX mode has very good gamut tracking for primary colors so that shouldn't be necessary. The V10 from 2009 has some faults in the magenta tracking in the THX mode but that was fixed with a firmware update later on.
If you want to play with colors I suggest that you use the RGB settings instead.
By Rasmus Larsen
BigBasti wrote:I wanted to buy the Sony 52Z5500 but then read the review of the G20 or GW20 how the Pana is called in Germany and now I am not longer sure which one to chose.

Which one would you chose ?

Is the Sony 52Z5500 better than the P50GW20 ?

Please help me !! :-)
Personally I would prefer the G20 in regards of picture quality. :)
By Rasmus Larsen
juggler wrote:Is it crazy for me to use the G20 as a computer monitor?

It will not be my main computer. mostly I will play Tivo and Movies through the computer, but everyonce in a while, I will have it on for a few hours.

Will the orbiting pixel feature be enough to prevent burn in?
Not crazy but not optimal either. If you want to connect it to playback movies it's alright but it's not very good for just surfing around on the internet and stuff. First of all it's not a monitor and the plasma technology has too much dithering noise for PC usage. Also plasma-TVs are not very good monitors because they are not based on the sample-and-hold principle like LCD monitors.

But anyways, for movies and games it's fine. Panasonic has very, very minor retention issues and I have seen only very few reports of retention from the 2008-2010 Panasonic plasma TVs. Samsung and LG has bigger retention problems on their plasma TVs for sure.
By Rasmus Larsen
ceerobert wrote:Hello Rasmus & All,

I'm thinking of buying the P50G20 and I am wondering if anyone has got G20 series to play MP3's via DLNA (wi-fi)?

I've just telephoned Panasonic today and asked them about playing MP3's over DLNA and they said it was not possible on last years TV's but the functionality has been included in the G20 range (I’m not so sure?).

Is there anyone with a G20 who can confirm this?

How about yourself Rasmus; any inside knowledge on this one?
Don't know why Panasonic would tell you that. Maybe it has been included with a firmware update? It's certainly not supported on this G20 sample.

I don't know your specific needs but personally I use a Apple Airport Express that has a audio out for all my music. It's a good solution but yeah, you need a PC running with iTunes.
By skank
Rasmus, have you seen floating blacks on the G20?
Cause i read it everywhere and its getting me nuts..
I ordered my g20 and i'm still waiting for it, but if these floating blacks are real, im still doubting to change..
I'm still able to change to pk 950 but those have ir and reflection and the imageprocessing issue

so.. are these floating blacks so bad?
By Rasmus Larsen
skank wrote:Rasmus, have you seen floating blacks on the G20?
Cause i read it everywhere and its getting me nuts..
I ordered my g20 and i'm still waiting for it, but if these floating blacks are real, im still doubting to change..
I'm still able to change to pk 950 but those have ir and reflection and the imageprocessing issue

so.. are these floating blacks so bad?
I did not experience floating blacks. Do you live in Europe or USA?
Not many people have complained about this on Nordic G20 samples.
By Nikke
I've just bought a TX-P46G20 here in Sweden, which should be essentially the same thing but with a 46" panel.

I'm a bit miffed about the fact that it seems to be emitting a buzzing sound when there's a bright picture, for example some of the menus.

It's loud enough to be noticed on normal seating distance when there's no sound (say a quiet sunny-day-scene), and the neighboring rooms have computers and other stuff that makes their fair bit of noise so it's not one of those dead-quiet living rooms.

Googling around a bit the buzzing seems to be rather common and standard feature of plasmas, but the G20s seem to have them in all flavours, from press-your-ear-to-the-unit to hear-it-from-your-sofa.

Given that you can't escape it completely, how much buzzing should I accept? What's normal for these beasts?