A chance to talk to FlatpanelsHD's reviewers.
By ertoil
Hi all , Hi Rasmus and thanks so much to Flatpanels for these proffesional tests
you make to the Tv's !
There are so many European forums from where we take and appreciate your work!

When you say "yellow push" in the PK950, do you refer to the typical "cyan color deviation"
of the 2009 LG plasmas or is it fixed ? thanks
By ceerobert
1st class excellent website and thanks for your review of this flat panel and others.

Obviously IR is still there with LG is it noticeable in normal viewing? You said in the review SD detail was “fair and detailed” would you mind elaborating a bit more about picture detail comparison SD and HD between the PK750 and G20.

I am not an expert flat panels (this will be my first plasma) and I am curious whether in normal viewing with both calibrated properly and side by side would I notice any difference in picture quality?

Thanks for your time
By skank
one thing about image retention
when do you get that?
you say the same image was displayed 2 hours
but who leaves its tv two hours with the same image?
when you watch a movie, it's constant a different image, so you dont get image retention then?
so why worry that then?

about reflection how bad is that?
my would wil be 2m from a window (to the ground) will i notice this?

ah seriously doubting between this and g20

cant really make a decision
By barrist
skank wrote:one thing about image retention
when do you get that?
when you watch a movie, it's constant a different image, so you dont get image retention then?
so why worry that then?

people who play games, can have an image stay on for hours. same with watching sports, channel logos, etc
By prebuffo
Hallo Magnus Larsen I have a couple question about your reviews (pk950 and in general:)

1) Did you perform a Break-IN of the PK950 before the review, if yes, how many hours?
2) In general did you perform a minimum amount of Break-IN hour as a fixed protocol for Plasma Panel reviews?

Thanks in Advance
Paolo Rebuffo
Last edited by prebuffo on 24 Mar 2010, 03:59, edited 2 times in total.
Suchisan wrote:Now my choise is narrowed down to Panasonic(probably the G20) or the newer Samsung models(B850,C-series!)
You probably know it but the Samsung B850 has some buzzing issues. I have one standing here for reference together with a lot of other TVs and mine has no serious buzzing but a lot of the TVs have.
I hope Samsung has resolved the issues with the new C models.
skank wrote:eum, another question, where's the magic wand tool?
have they excluded that?

i think the fact that g20 has less reflection, is better for daytime-viewing, equal blacks compared to pk950...
+ the price between the two is only 100 euros...
I don't know. LG talked about the Magic Wand on CES but not it seems that it'll be a LX9500 exclusive thing.
rb1213 wrote: Rasmus,
will Flatpanels also test the Samsung C5000 plasma?
I haven't decided yet. I probably gonna do a review on the C7000 initially and then decide.
ertoil wrote:Hi all , Hi Rasmus and thanks so much to Flatpanels for these proffesional tests
you make to the Tv's !
There are so many European forums from where we take and appreciate your work!

When you say "yellow push" in the PK950, do you refer to the typical "cyan color deviation"
of the 2009 LG plasmas or is it fixed ? thanks
Thank you for your kind words. I'll hope you all support us in the future.

Yeah, that might play a role but it's not exactly what I'm referring to. A lot of plasma TVs has some color deviation on secondary colors - more or less. LG had some issues that were visible to the human eye but actually Panasonic, for example, also had some Magenta color deviations in the THX mode on V10 from 2009 but most people didn't notice or bother.

The yellow push on PK950 is primarily caused by picture settings as I see it. I haven't done in-depth analysis on the color gamut with the THX profile on PK950 but I was able to calibrate PK950 and get rid of the yellow push so I didn't do a lot of testing besides that.
On the other hand the color gamut handling is not perfect on PK950, though. And as mentioned in the review it also has some APL issues but most plasma TVs does.
ceerobert wrote:Obviously IR is still there with LG is it noticeable in normal viewing? You said in the review SD detail was “fair and detailed” would you mind elaborating a bit more about picture detail comparison SD and HD between the PK750 and G20.
Yeah sometimes. I saw in with some channel logos as well and in a few PS3 games with frozen items such as a status indicator.

I think you mean PK950 instead of PK750? :) I think that the XD engine in the LG TVs is quite good when it comes to SD. The scaling is fair and de-interlacing is fair as well.
G20 is better than G10 from 2009 that had some scaling and de-interlacing issues.

I don't see major differences with SD with PK950 and G20 in practice. PK950 is definitely better at handling SD than G10 but G20 has resolved most of the internal circuit issues.

HD is better on G20 in my opinion. The PK950 is fair but not the best TV I have seen when it comes to HD.
I am not an expert flat panels (this will be my first plasma) and I am curious whether in normal viewing with both calibrated properly and side by side would I notice any difference in picture quality?
Between the G20 and PK950? Well, let me put it this way. Both TVs has their cons and pros and what parameters matter the most tends to be a different from one person to another. I won't say that either is definitely better than the other in every respect but I still believe that G20 has the edge when it comes to picture quality.

LG has moved closer to Panasonic in 2010 than in 2009, however.
skank wrote:one thing about image retention
when do you get that?
so why worry that then?

Like barrist says you might experience some image retention with channel logos and in games. You might also experience that the black bar from the subtitles tend to stay on the panel for a short time when you switch to another channel or another source.

I have uploaded a picture of the reflections in an earlier post today :)
By skank
Rasmus,

Looking at your picture from the reflection -> it seems the panasonic on the left side of the pk950 has big reflections too? is that the g20?

If you would have to chose now between:
1) buy the panasonic 50G20 for 1300 euro
2) buy the lg 50pk950 for 1200 euro
3) still wait for the samsung 50c7000 review (with 3d possibility) and pay 1350

what would you chose?

for me its between 1 and 2, but what would you chose? cause its really hard to do so, and to wait a bit longer for the samsung