A chance to talk to FlatpanelsHD's reviewers.
By bons@i
tnx for the review

i just wonder the input lag level so would you pls tell the wht is the input lag number_?
By mattberlin
Thank you for the realy good test.
I own a 40 NX705 for about three weeks.
I love this tv, my wife loves the design.
I tested some of your settings. I didn´t like the picture with warm2 settings, i prefer warm1.
But with your settings ob bias and gain i think the greyscale looks more grey in my eyes.
I use lower contrast ratio settings an a bit higher backlight settings. For me the new Sony NX is a perfect combination of a good tv with perfect looking skin. More will be luxury in my opinion, less will be abdiction of somesthing. Thanks an more of such good tests.
By Rasmus Larsen
bons@i wrote:tnx for the review

i just wonder the input lag level so would you pls tell the wht is the input lag number_?
It's pretty much on the same level as the 2009 Sony models. Not extremely low but good enough for most console playing.

Also, Motionflow introduces extra delay.
By Rasmus Larsen
mattberlin wrote:Thank you for the realy good test.
I own a 40 NX705 for about three weeks.
I love this tv, my wife loves the design.
I tested some of your settings. I didn´t like the picture with warm2 settings, i prefer warm1.
But with your settings ob bias and gain i think the greyscale looks more grey in my eyes.
I use lower contrast ratio settings an a bit higher backlight settings. For me the new Sony NX is a perfect combination of a good tv with perfect looking skin. More will be luxury in my opinion, less will be abdiction of somesthing. Thanks an more of such good tests.
Warm2 is not perfect but the one closest to the 6500 Kelvin mark. But yeah, it can look a bit too warm during daytime.

About RGB. It's our experience that TVs vary a lot so one RGB setting might not be suited for another. The RGB calibration should only be used as a suggestion or a starting point :)

I'm glad you enjoy your TV. Do you experience problems with the very reflective panel?
By mattberlin
Thanks for your infos.

To your question about my experience with reflextions.
The tv stands on a lowboard about 60cm above the floor. In perfect line to my seats.
My livingroom is very bright with a glassdoor on the right of the tv an two windows on the left. But even when the sun shines i have no big reflections on the screen.
Only in dark scenes you can see some reflection on the glassfront but they do not disturb me. When looking in the eveneing, their is only a light on the right, about 4 m distance to the tv. No problems.
If one get out of the center view the reflection rise up. But on my 2seeter couch i can sit everywher with no problem. And i love the "security" of the glasses because there are little people :) who will touch erverythin like: look look look here here this is Wall-E "touch" a fingerprint on the screen :)
I come from an old crt so i have no problems with the NX7, i love it!
By hazarin
Thanks for great review and great site. One of the best and I have seen a lot of them.
I have a little question regarding this TV panel.
I thought that for this year relatively high-end models Sony switched to Sharp UV2A panels, which were supposed to bring wider viewing angles, better contrasts and deeper blacks. However when we compare this panels performance with those from W5500 we did not see any marked improvements promised by UV2A technology in viewing angles and contrasts, though blacks improved to 0.05 value. At the same time the same characteristics with regards to black and contrasts were already achieved with Z5500. Actually Z5500 has better contrast. Could you please comment on that and check whether this TV indeed has UV2A panel. Cheers.
By bons@i
Rasmus Larsen wrote:
bons@i wrote:tnx for the review

It's pretty much on the same level as the 2009 Sony models. Not extremely low but good enough for most console playing.

Also, Motionflow introduces extra delay.
thx for the reply :)
By bons@i
hazarin wrote:Thanks for great review and great site. One of the best and I have seen a lot of them.
I have a little question regarding this TV panel.
I thought that for this year relatively high-end models Sony switched to Sharp UV2A panels, which were supposed to bring wider viewing angles, better contrasts and deeper blacks. However when we compare this panels performance with those from W5500 we did not see any marked improvements promised by UV2A technology in viewing angles and contrasts, though blacks improved to 0.05 value. At the same time the same characteristics with regards to black and contrasts were already achieved with Z5500. Actually Z5500 has better contrast. Could you please comment on that and check whether this TV indeed has UV2A panel. Cheers.
my freind if i am not wrong;
sony is going to use Sharp UV2A panels on 60" ranges
according to infos that i gader; cost of UV2A is less than S_PVA modul but they offer very expensive than S_PVA panels :?
By ruiribeiro
Hi and congratulations for the great reviews.
I’m also a 40NX700 owner for a week and a half now, and I must say that I’m deeply satisfied with the set. :D
I’m going to test your calibration values, and express my opinion afterwards.

Regarding my experience with it, I love its sharpness and picture quality, especially in HD. No input lag at my eyes with motionflow OFF (PS3 games). No audio sync problem with external speakers (important with my equipment).

As for the reflections I should say that there’s no big problem for me, I upgraded from a sony wega model, which has reflection issues specially in daytime, but the NX700, hasn’t!! Sometimes I think it has some kind of an anti-reflective glass on the front of that beautiful monolithic design, don’t you agree!? :roll:
By blytant
Hi

I understand that you're reviewing a 46 inch television. But why is that you never mention anything about response time and input lag?

Apart from that a really awesome review!!

Love this site
By Rasmus Larsen
hazarin wrote:However when we compare this panels performance with those from W5500 we did not see any marked improvements promised by UV2A technology in viewing angles and contrasts, though blacks improved to 0.05 value. At the same time the same characteristics with regards to black and contrasts were already achieved with Z5500. Actually Z5500 has better contrast. Could you please comment on that and check whether this TV indeed has UV2A panel. Cheers.
I think that the Sharp panels will start in the high-end Sony series and the larger set.

Also, I was told by someone close to Sharp that Sony wants to use the new Quattron Sharp panels (the RGBY panels) in their sets. They're trying to get them as soon as possible but Sharp wants to release their TVs with the Quattron panels before they start selling to Sony.
By Rasmus Larsen
ruiribeiro wrote:As for the reflections I should say that there’s no big problem for me, I upgraded from a sony wega model, which has reflection issues specially in daytime, but the NX700, hasn’t!! Sometimes I think it has some kind of an anti-reflective glass on the front of that beautiful monolithic design, don’t you agree!? :roll:
It has an anti-reflective coating, yeah. :) This ensures that colors aren't washed out and dimmed too much. The coating can't eliminate reflections completely and the mirror effect, though.

Thanks for your views on the TV btw. It's always good to have some user experiences as well and I'm sure that a lot of our users can benefit from these feedbacks :)
By Rasmus Larsen
blytant wrote:Hi

I understand that you're reviewing a 46 inch television. But why is that you never mention anything about response time and input lag?

Apart from that a really awesome review!!

Love this site
I wrote a few sections here:
Traditionally, response time has been slower on LCD-TVs than plasma TVs and nothing has really changed in the recent years. LCD-TVs still have some trailing and gets blurry during rapid motion or while panning a football field and plasma TVs has phosphor trailing.

LCD-TV manufacturers introduced the Overdrive technology some years ago but since then the most significant improvement to response time has come from the scanning backlight technology. Unfortunately Sony has not incorporated scanning backlight in NX700 and the TV has some blurring and trailing.
And:
In recent generations the Sony TVs had a lot of problems with trailing on dark shades such as dark gray which would result in trailing in the shadow detailing space, so I was delighted to see that this is not a problem with the NX700.

It has balanced trailing that is not more visible on dark colors than on bright colors. I did see some minor overdrive trailing on some of the semi-bright shades, however.
I can elaborate if you like? :)
But basically NX700 has semi-fast response time. Not as fast as the scanning backlight LCD-TVs that we have seen recently and not as fast as plasma-TVs but faster than previous Sony TVs because they had a tendency to reveal a lot of trailing on dark color shades.
By G.B.
Rasmus Larsen , Note: if You like Theater Mode on Sony & lock it on that input ? You on any input go to Scene Select - Cinema & it locks in to Theater settings. This is in the same part of the menu as eco...General is used most in other Calibration review's. It also has Auto ? On other forums , no one has come up with what this does & how ? Nothing changes in the setting You already have. If You go to Sport it puts Motionflow to High. I will note Your infor on Motionflow. Cinemotion Auto 1 & Auto 2. for what source ? Looks like Sony wants Auto 1 for 24 fps... Any input would be great... What setting in eco did You use Low for better Blacks?