A chance to talk to FlatpanelsHD's reviewers.
By rberger
Rasmus, you said:

I chose not to suggest a RGB calibration because the result on PA241W is very good. If you want a real improvement past this point you need a calibrator.

I don't understand what you mean by this statement. You calibrated in sRGB picture mode, right?

It's important for me to understand because I want to know how you got a black level of 0.13 cd/m2.

The reviewer at tftcentral (http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/nec_pa241w.htm) got a black level of 0.24 cd/m2 on the sRGB preset ... with a 120 cd/m2 target luminance.

Why did you use a target luminance of only 84 cd/m2? This is certainly lower than most people will use.

Thanks!
By Rasmus Larsen
"I don't understand what you mean by this statement. You calibrated in sRGB picture mode, right?"

Yes.
What I mean is that you probably need a calibrator to get a better result than the sRGB mode provides. I chose not to suggest RGB values simply because of the variations on different monitors. So my RGB values would probably not give a better result on PA241W compared to the sRGB mode that was very accurate.

I hope this makes better sense now?

In order to achieve 0.13 cd/m2 black you need to lower brightness more than 120 cd/m2 like Simon did in the TFTcentral review. Actually 80 cd/m2 is not that low and used in a lot of graphical studies with light control. 80 cd/m2 is also the default value in the sRGB mode on PA241W.

But yeah, during daytime you might wanna turn brightness up.
By sblantipodi
Rasmus Larsen wrote:"I don't understand what you mean by this statement. You calibrated in sRGB picture mode, right?"

Yes.
What I mean is that you probably need a calibrator to get a better result than the sRGB mode provides. I chose not to suggest RGB values simply because of the variations on different monitors. So my RGB values would probably not give a better result on PA241W compared to the sRGB mode that was very accurate.

I hope this makes better sense now?

In order to achieve 0.13 cd/m2 black you need to lower brightness more than 120 cd/m2 like Simon did in the TFTcentral review. Actually 80 cd/m2 is not that low and used in a lot of graphical studies with light control. 80 cd/m2 is also the default value in the sRGB mode on PA241W.

But yeah, during daytime you might wanna turn brightness up.
I'm your fan, thanks for your good reviews and thanks for giving us a way to know something more on monitors before buying.
I really appreciate your work and I will try to spread the work about your site since good workers needs to be advertised BUT...

In my thinking to give more sense to your reviews you should use REAL LIFE settings, how many people care to work at 80cd/m2 and how many paople want to work with sunglasses at 250cd/m2?

Sincerely I'm really not interested if HP2475W have a good contrast at 250cd/m2 and Nec (a 1000$ monitor) have a good black level at 80cd/m2.
This data can be an addition but what about the REAL LIFE use parameter?

Why don't you tested the NEC (and many other model) in a more common 110cd/m2 to 160cd/m2???

I have no answer at this questions and sincerely I can't understand
who cares to read a review that says that HP rocks at 250cd/m2 and Nec rocks at 80cd/m2?
Sincerely I think that this is only confusing parameters for no one.

Hope to see this improving in the next reviews.

Best Regards,
Davide.