A chance to talk to FlatpanelsHD's reviewers.
By iraklis
I want to buy this model, but my living room has afternoon-sun and fall directly to the tv stand. I have big balcony doors and I think this will affect image visualization.

Is there any led model which reduce reflections? I don't want to pull the louvers down anytime I want to watch tv :(

P.D.: Sorry for my english.
iraklis wrote:I want to buy this model, but my living room has afternoon-sun and fall directly to the tv stand. I have big balcony doors and I think this will affect image visualization.

Is there any led model which reduce reflections? I don't want to pull the louvers down anytime I want to watch tv :(

P.D.: Sorry for my english.
One solution is to increase brightness on the panel or to keep the OPC (automatic brightness) on. When brightness is increases reflections are less visible but of course not eliminated.

Actually Samsung's new LCD-TVs with Edge LED seems to be some of the best in regards of reflections amongst the LED models introduced in 2010. That's kind of the opposite situation but this year a lot of manufacturers, including Sony with the NX700, LG with the LE8500 and Sharp with the LE820, has added glass fronts.
I'll receive the Samsung C6000 today btw. so expect a review coming up.
By hazarin
Thanks for good review. I want to return to previously discussed question of UV2A panel and its possible implementation on this set. When we compare black and contrast measurements on the calibrated TV we see that virtually there is no difference between LE820 and LE705 on these two parameters. And UV2A promised drastic increase for both of them and significant improvements in viewing angles. Something which also was not that clear based on this review and those posted in techradar web site. Does it mean that this panel is not with UV2A coating?
I actually also had a look on this TV in the shop and had opportunity to do side -by-side comparison with 52 Philips 5604. Surprisingly this 46" Sharp was not sharp at all, 52" Philips was much better, colours on this Sharp were all washed out even in the dynamic mode, and all the talk about supposed advantages of the fourth Yellow pixel looked like pure advertisement without any substance. I made comparison on both HD and SD channels.
May be it was the effect of the ECO mode which was not disactivated. But I will make a second trip to the shop, apply your calibrated settings and see where we are.
By turbogps
I am new to the website. Thanks for the interesting info.
a) LE820 question. You mention green/yellow push. Can this be calibrated? looking at the LE820 manual, colour calibration seems to be possible.
b) General question: You describe black level and clouding/backlightbleeding. What is the difference? Are these factors interconnected e.g. if there is backlightbleeding, then blacklevel cannot be low?
hazarin wrote:Thanks for good review. I want to return to previously discussed question of UV2A panel and its possible implementation on this set. When we compare black and contrast measurements on the calibrated TV we see that virtually there is no difference between LE820 and LE705 on these two parameters. And UV2A promised drastic increase for both of them and significant improvements in viewing angles. Something which also was not that clear based on this review and those posted in techradar web site. Does it mean that this panel is not with UV2A coating?
That's probably just marketing talk. But you're right. There's no evolution from the LE705 to LE820. I still think that LE820 is a better TV all in all, though.
I actually also had a look on this TV in the shop and had opportunity to do side -by-side comparison with 52 Philips 5604. Surprisingly this 46" Sharp was not sharp at all, 52" Philips was much better, colours on this Sharp were all washed out even in the dynamic mode, and all the talk about supposed advantages of the fourth Yellow pixel looked like pure advertisement without any substance. I made comparison on both HD and SD channels.
May be it was the effect of the ECO mode which was not disactivated. But I will make a second trip to the shop, apply your calibrated settings and see where we are.
That could be the shop setup but also keep in mind that Philips has a lot of artificial sharpness in the picture. Actually the Philips default settings are by far the worst of any LCD-TV manufacturer.
The longer you look at the Philips TV the more you’ll see it.

Did you check the connections on the back of the TVs?
turbogps wrote:I am new to the website. Thanks for the interesting info.
a) LE820 question. You mention green/yellow push. Can this be calibrated? looking at the LE820 manual, colour calibration seems to be possible.
It should be possible with the CMS but the optimal picture setting may vary a lot from one LE820 to another LE820. The thing with gamut variations are that they're hard to correct but the CMS system should help.

I didn't do a complete CMS calibration because I think there's a mismatch in writing a consumer review with this "false" approach. The review should tell consumers what they can expect from the TV, not what they can achieve if they're hardcore calibrators.
I also received this question in a few e-mails.
b) General question: You describe black level and clouding/backlightbleeding. What is the difference? Are these factors interconnected e.g. if there is backlightbleeding, then blacklevel cannot be low?
The black level measurement tells us how deep a black level the panel in the TV can achieve. (you can also compare the black level measurement to other TV reviews here on FlatpanelsHD)
The clouding test tells us if light is distributed homogeneously across the panel.

But you're right. If clouding is very bad, black level will also be reduced. Also, bleeding is not constant on the panel. You might experience that bleeding is only visible in one of the corners.
Black level in this corner might 0.08 cd/m2 and 0.05 cd/m2 on the rest of the panel. We have experimented with a graph that tells us the black level on 30 different spots on the panel but in the end I think that a picture tells a better story, and I think that most readers agree. :)
By executive
Rasmus - thanks for the great review.

Just wondering if you will be reviewing (really hoping you are) the 68" LE920 series that should be released in May here in Canada.

I'm really excited for the massive 68" size, and I'd like to know what you think of the LE920 series features over the LE820.

Thanks!!!
executive wrote:Rasmus - thanks for the great review.

Just wondering if you will be reviewing (really hoping you are) the 68" LE920 series that should be released in May here in Canada.

I'm really excited for the massive 68" size, and I'd like to know what you think of the LE920 series features over the LE820.

Thanks!!!
Yes, we are planning on looking at the LE920 as well :)
sinistro wrote:Interesting review, though I did expect that due the 4th pixel the response time would be lower :/
LE820 is certainly faster than Sharp LE705 but the fastest LCD-TVs are still those with scanning backlights.
By turbogps
Dear Rasmus: thanks for all the excellent panel reviews. Many websites refer to it.

Question about the Sharp 46LE820: where was it manufactured? I am interested in this panel, but as I suspect that quality depends on manufacturing country, I wanted to check where the panel that you reviewed came from.
By Danielh
Hello Rasmus.
Congratulations for a really good site.

How does the speakers in Sharp 46LE820 stand against, Philips 9000-series,
for example Philips 9664H?

Is the built-in sound equal or is Philips somewhat better?

/Daniel
By igor
sinistro wrote:Interesting review, though I did expect that due the 4th pixel the response time would be lower :/
:love:MKV reads!!! It is checked up!