A chance to talk to FlatpanelsHD's reviewers.
hi rasmus
Please look @ these reviews:
1.http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/panasoni ... 520694.htm
They have measured Black level about 0.006 cd/m^2

2.http://www.dday.it/prodotti/811/Panason ... l#pagina-4

they measured black level equal as HDTV test.
From the review (translated by google) They said:

“thanks to a rather low level of black screen when you view a checkerboard: 0.006 cd / sqm. We repeated the measurement several times always getting the same value. Curiously displaying a completely black screen, we measured a higher black level, 0,028 cd / sqm”

i think black level measured deeper in complex scenes than on a completely black screen!!!
Pleas tell me what do you think?

sorry for my English
kooleracer wrote:How much power does this uses when playing 3D content? And are there fans in this tv, can you here them blowing?

thx
It depends on what picture mode you use. For 3D during daytime I suggest that you use one of the bright picture presets (and sacrifices a bit color accuracy). If you select Dynamic which is the brightest one you can see the energy consumption measurement in the "Energy Consumption" section. If you use for example THX mode consumption increases with about 5-15 W in 3D compared to 2D :)

It has some fans. I heard them once yesterday when I placed VT20 next to the window in sunlight (because I tested 3D viewing in sunlight) and they started to cool. I could heard them if I moved closer to the Tv but not from my normal viewing distance.
alucard wrote:hi rasmus
Please look @ these reviews:
1.http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/panasoni ... 520694.htm
They have measured Black level about 0.006 cd/m^2

2.http://www.dday.it/prodotti/811/Panason ... l#pagina-4

they measured black level equal as HDTV test.
From the review (translated by google) They said:

“thanks to a rather low level of black screen when you view a checkerboard: 0.006 cd / sqm. We repeated the measurement several times always getting the same value. Curiously displaying a completely black screen, we measured a higher black level, 0,028 cd / sqm”

i think black level measured deeper in complex scenes than on a completely black screen!!!
Pleas tell me what do you think?

sorry for my English
We never measure on a completely black screen. Our testing software creates a smaller square for measurement. The same applies for color measurement and gamma.

Nevertheless you can't really use the lowest black value for anything. It's more relevant to know what you can actually expect from ANSI contrast (ANSI is the closest to real time black levels because it takes changing picture content into account). Peak values and low values are not really that interesting.

Also, it can be tricky to compare measurements from different equipment. It's usually best to compare readings from the same device.

However, one thing is certain and people seem to agree. VT20 does not reproduce a completely dark black level. :)
Also we received some questions on mail about the gamma curve. We have recommended 2.2 gamma. With this setting we got a pretty flat gamma curve from 2.17 to 2.21.

If we switched to 2.4 gamme in the professional1 advanced menu we got a far too high gamma from 2,53 to 2,62. If your VT20 is similar to our specimen 2.2 gamma is prefered but you might want to select 2.4 gamma if the picture is too "milky" (washed out). It seems that there are deviations between the different sets as some calibrators got closer to 2.2 gamma on VT20 if they selected 2.4 in the advanced calibration menu.
It sounds great.It is very helpfull to get all the reviews related to the Panasonic VT20 / VT25 3DTV in the single click.I was looking for that from a long time.So its now possible with the provided site by you.
Hi,

Beside dithering and trailing, I'm really concerned (and maybe too sensible) about the typical flickering of the brightest areas of the picture on Panasonic plasma screens.

Are we approaching the calm feeling of an LCD picture or do we get again the aggressive flickering (like old large 50hz CRTs) that have been reported to be very annoying for a lot of european users (maybe more visible with i/25 content from the 50 hz area) ?

It is of course especially visible at the close recommended distance of 3x the height of the screen or when looking aside the screen because the periferical fast vision of our eyes is then involved.

Thanx for your evaluation.

PS: where can I find the test procedure and the list of material you are using for measurement.
Thanks for the review :)

Is the VT20 fine for playing HD games? Not too much input lag etc. ?

I just realised that there is the the VT20 and also the V20, which I think has no 3D.

Will flatpanelshd.com also be reviewing the V20 to see how it compares to the VT20? Or will it be exactly the same except for 3D?
On the V10 there was a yellow cast in THX. I wonder if it is present on the VT20 and if so, can i adjust it myself (amature), or does it require a update or help from a pro? Also, great review!
Ola.
In review "After calibration I measured black to 0.03 cd/m2. This is a bit better than the G20 but not as low as on the Pioneer KURO (0.02 cd/m2 with our meter which is the lowest possible by the calibrator unit, review only available on our Danish site FlatpanelsDK) or the new LCD-TVs with LED local dimming."

What meter do you use for your reports?

What Software do you with the meter?
By bertzz
Will you guys be revising the measurements (black level etc) for these panels after the Black Level rise at say 1000 and 2000 hours? Although these panels are supposed to have a more gradual voltage increase than the G series from 2009, I would like to know the measurement of blacks after the abovementioned hours.
Many thanks.
Just letting you guys know: The input lag of the tested 50VT20E model is in no way comparable to its US derivates (50VT20B and 50VT20). It's as high as 50 ms across most of the Picture Modes and Game Mode is not helping it:

Game Mode:

THX Mode:

Measured against lag-free CRT. Resolution (1080p vs. 720p), Overscan, IFC, Vivid Colors etc. don't matter or make things worse.

Also, the VT20B and VT20E have fewer options than the US model (no Blur Reduction and HDMI Luma Level setting), which is bad.

locutus
HI, thanks for the great review, really love the TV I just purchased! :)

One thing.... How do I access to ISFccc from the setup menu??? Looked everywhere, found nothing! :(
I want to use pro sxettings....