A chance to talk to FlatpanelsHD's reviewers.
By matt
Ok, I will rephrase the question.

In your conclusion you wrote "and gamma was not stable".

I just want to make sure that's a reference to the gamma issues mentioned in the "Calibration on LG PZ950" section. And not some kind of gamma fluctuations, like on the recent Panasonics. Is that correct?
Last edited by matt on 30 May 2011, 01:25, edited 1 time in total.
By glypto
Hi Rasmus,
thank you, very informative review.
- did you see any Dirty Screen Effect on this TV ?
- any dead pixels ?
- how is the motion handling for 24p source ?
By Maestro
I'm a newbie to this site, so be gentle. Very comprehensive review, thank you. What are the typical room conditions when you calibrate your tv? I primarily watch movies or baseball, and so far (a couple months) I haven't had much success calibrating my pz950. I know some of the issue is with the signal coming from my cable provider (especially for the baseball games, the network broadcasting the games alter the broadcast depending on day or night games), but in general, is there recommended ambient room conditions that you would recommend? I struggle with darkness of the image. I don't like using contrast and brightness on high settings because it washes out the color, but using calibrated settings found on the internet, the image seems too dark. I have tried the thx brighroom settings as well, but I'm not enamored with them, and I don't usually have bright room conditions. I know it is all subjective, but do you have any advise? Maybe a plasma is not for me.
By Rasmus Larsen
matt wrote:Ok, I will rephrase the question.

In your conclusion you wrote "and gamma was not stable".

I just want to make sure that's a reference to the gamma issues mentioned in the "Calibration on LG PZ950" section. And not some kind of gamma fluctuations, like on the recent Panasonics. Is that correct?
With "gamma not stable" I mean that gamma is not stable around our reference 2.2 gamma curve.

I'm not talking about gamma fluctuations, no. :)
By Rasmus Larsen
glypto wrote:Hi Rasmus,
thank you, very informative review.
- did you see any Dirty Screen Effect on this TV ?
- any dead pixels ?
- how is the motion handling for 24p source ?
The dirty screen effect and screen door is reduced to a absolute minimum compared to older plasma TVs.

No, we didn't notice any dead pixels.

24 Hz content was reproduced correctly. Only natural 1080p24 stutter, not frame stutter.
By Rasmus Larsen
Maestro wrote:I'm a newbie to this site, so be gentle. Very comprehensive review, thank you. What are the typical room conditions when you calibrate your tv? I primarily watch movies or baseball, and so far (a couple months) I haven't had much success calibrating my pz950. I know some of the issue is with the signal coming from my cable provider (especially for the baseball games, the network broadcasting the games alter the broadcast depending on day or night games), but in general, is there recommended ambient room conditions that you would recommend? I struggle with darkness of the image. I don't like using contrast and brightness on high settings because it washes out the color, but using calibrated settings found on the internet, the image seems too dark. I have tried the thx brighroom settings as well, but I'm not enamored with them, and I don't usually have bright room conditions. I know it is all subjective, but do you have any advise? Maybe a plasma is not for me.
We use a semi-dark room (much like a living room in the evening) when calibrating.

If you need more light from the panel the THX Bright Room preset should provide you with the best starting point for that. But you say that you struggle with darkness of the image? Are you not seeing details? Then you probably need to work on improving gamma in the dark end of the gamma range. You could try the 10 point RGB settings in the advanced ISF menus.

Are you sure that it is not your cable provider? Typical compressions artifacts include loss of shadow details.
By Maestro
Rasmus Larsen wrote:
We use a semi-dark room (much like a living room in the evening) when calibrating.

If you need more light from the panel the THX Bright Room preset should provide you with the best starting point for that. But you say that you struggle with darkness of the image? Are you not seeing details? Then you probably need to work on improving gamma in the dark end of the gamma range. You could try the 10 point RGB settings in the advanced ISF menus.

Are you sure that it is not your cable provider? Typical compressions artifacts include loss of shadow details.
Rasmus - I don't think i am missing any detail nor do I think it is my cable provider (also happens with blu-ray and netflix). To try and explain it better, if it were an lcd tv I would say the backlight is turned way down. The image definition and detail looks great, but the colors seem subdued and do not pop. Not sure if this falls under 'dirty screen effect'. I don't know anyone else that has this tv, and if you go to the store to look at anohter one, the store settings don't provide a good comparison.
By Davidcopariu
I just bought the LG 50 Pz950. And I calibrated It acording to Rasmus Expert1 settings. The thing is...It does not let me access the xvYCC mode.... I dont know if its off or on. Regarding Rasmus settings... when I get a lot of % of the image in black, I see lots of little squares and greyish lines in vertical. Also the people faces specially on the news are redish and bright fuzzy sometimes. I would probably change the color temperature to cold and not warm and maybe lowdown the redish ton.
I would like advice to improve the black issues if you dont mind Rasmus.
Also..my Tv is conected on the HD cable box with an HDMI cable on USB position 3... Half od the 120 channels image is cut on top and bottom of the screen and the options and the image proportion settings which I have on 16/9 does not let me access the JUST SCAN option and the ToTally Wide option wich would fit the image to the 50 inches.
Will apreciate if you can clarify ne on thise issues rasmus.
Thank you.
By Davidcopariu
Ok about the images being cut on top and bottom the issue is resolved. 16/9 was on TV set but not on HD cable box config menu.
But a green Dot appears when I use Rasmus expert settings and dissapears after 1m I changed it to THX cinema mode.Its very strange...if it was a burn pixel it would stay the same no matter what viewing mode I would choose. Any sugestions?
By fifaking
Hi Rasmus! If you`re a sports fan and watch alot of HD football and you could pick between the models below. Which is your choice and why? :)

1. LG PZ950 60"
2. Samsung UE6505D 60" LED
3. Samsung UE8005D 55" LED
4. Phillips 7606 55" LED

:)