A chance to talk to FlatpanelsHD's reviewers.
By kuulatron
Thank you for the good review. I'm a little new to the current TV world and I was wondering how would I be able to find out if the 55" model uses the same type of panel as this 47"? Would help alot if I could at least use your calibrations as a guide.
By Rasmus Larsen
To my knowledge it's the same panel in Philips' 55 inch TV. In other words; LG's IPS panel that is also utilized in LG's 55" 55LW6500 model.
By sinistro
Thanks for this review :)

You say that you have to sit away a few meters for the pasive 3d. I am in the market for a set but not sure yet what but my eyes did fall on these 7606 series. My distance is 2.30-2,50 is that a good distance for a 47''?

I have a 40pfl7605 already and I found that the blacks on that one is beter then on my lg plasma 50pk250 ( which is just dark grey ) and with the combination of the ambilight the blacks look even more black, does the blacks look beter with ambilight activated on the 7606 also??

Is the 2d the same or better then the 6606 you tested before?
By kuulatron
Rasmus Larsen wrote:To my knowledge it's the same panel in Philips' 55 inch TV. In other words; LG's IPS panel that is also utilized in LG's 55" 55LW6500 model.
Thank you. Also sorry for asking, but was the input lag tested in 'Game' mode or with the calibrated 'Cinema' mode? Is there a difference?
By sinistro
Maybe because the 40'' 6606 uses sharp panels ( ASV I think ) and the 7606 the LG IPS.

I think also that the black level difference between the LG LW650 and the philips 7606 might be due the partial local dimming the LG has and not the philips.
By pygar7
Apols, meant to post here.
Great review of the PFL7606. Could anyone please explain the difference between the Philips PFL7606, PFL7656 and the newly released PFL7666?
Thanks in advance...
By Jvdk
Thanks for the review.

You have missed one fairly important aspect though.

The TV-set does not support DTS.

Therefore the TV is useless for people who wish to play Blu-rays from a player that does not support downmix to Dolby Digital.

It will also not pass DTS from sources such as the built-in DLNA client (or the Blu-ray player) to the ARC channel, which makes it useless for playing your stored DVD's or blu-ray's.

Philips is aware of the issue, however does not constructively answer questions, other than suggesting to procure additional hardware.
Obviously the additional hardware (Amp with A/V splitting) will not help in streaming the DTS DLNA content.

Note that contrary to the statement on the Philips support forum that 99% of the Blu-rays and DVD's come with Dolby Digital track (which is supported by the TV), other users have reported that out of 8 rented Blu-ray's none had a DD track.
By SandFish
Since I do not need a 3D feature, I'm looking towards 7406 model.
Does anyone know whether there are any other diferences between 7606 and 7406 except 3D ?support?
By buscasecreto
Dear Rasmus,
first of all, thank you indeed for this review as it helped me to choose this model (42pfl7696 is mine), and specifically for your recommended calibration. After having tried with many others, I found these recommended setting as the best of all for my tv set. The image and colours are so clean and natural that I can hardly think of a better proposal in terms of value&cost`.

But my question is the follwing. With the last and very recent firmware upgrade of the 7000 series, there is a new option in the digital motion menu. Besides the RBG gains, now you can also control the white levels in the three RGB colours.

having in mind the results of your 7606 testing, would you recommend to make any change to these new parameters? Can you also explain what is the real influence of these new options?

Thank you in advance
Last edited by buscasecreto on 15 Oct 2011, 07:30, edited 1 time in total.
By anderma
I do not understand why so much effort is done to determine the contrast ratio. When you get past contrast ratios of about 1,000:1 or so, there's little benefit to trying for more contrast. The effect of increasing contrast is also very non-linear, since our eyes' response is not linear in the first place. You will perceive a change in contrast ratio from, say, 10:1 to 20:1 as very apparent; a change from 100:1 to 200:1 is definitely visible, but doesn't seem to be as much as the first change. And going from 500:1 to 1,000:1 is seen as a relatively minor change compared to the first two.

Having a contrast of, lets say, 2000:1 is reidicilous. It is only used for marketing and has no real value for the viewer.

So what's the bottom line regarding contrast? It remains a very important specification regarding the
performance of any display, but it should also be clear now that it's never just a case of "bigger
numbers are always better." Major points to keep in mind:

1. The actual contrast as seen by the viewer, under typical lighting in the home or office, will almost
always be significantly less than the "dark room" value given in the specifications.

2. A higher contrast ratio is better than a lower one, but the higher the contrast is, the less perceivable
difference an additional increase will make—and there will come a point at which no continued
increase (in absolute, objective terms) will be perceived by the viewer at all.

3. As is usually the case in comparing displays, the final decision should be based on how they look
to you, as viewed under the same conditions and with the same sorts of images you'll typically be
using. In other words, the specifications can certainly be an important factor in your purchasing
decision, but they shouldn't be all you consider.
By renhoelder
I was thinking of buying the 42inch model for gaming/movies (3D on normal). Is the input lag bad for gaming? Im not playing games like CS or COD that require fast responses. Or are there any other models that would be better in the same pricerange?
By ilyama
Hello

My first message here and I'm already asking me the same question that you...

Is the input lag ok for gaming ?

Thanks
By renhoelder
ilyama wrote:Hello

My first message here and I'm already asking me the same question that you...

Is the input lag ok for gaming ?

Thanks
I have the 42inch version and although the "out of the box" settings were pretty laggy with my PC over HDMI, but with the settings mentioned in the review it´s barely noticeable. I don´t play online games that require quick responses, so maybe if you play competatively online, like CS or some shooters.