A chance to talk to FlatpanelsHD's reviewers.
1. Can we expect also a video review of Sony X900F (US) / XF90 (Europe) on Flatpanelshd`s youtube channel?
2. Did you try playing some HDR movies with subtitles on the black bars? Any blooming, clouding, haloing effects
around subtitles on the black bars?
3. How come the contrast value in HDR drop so low: 3683:1? I read that a good contrast value for VA panel is around
5000:1 without local dimming...am I wrong? With local dimming should be more...I expected more!
4. Did you check for microstutter on scene/shot changes like described here: https://goo.gl/tnDvCd ?
Thanks for the review. I’m particularly interested in the X-motion clarity feature, and the fact that it can be used in game mode. Another recent review mentioned that the XF90 was better in game mode (compared to last years models) because you could use this new x-motion tech when gaming without increasing input lag.

Can you confirm this?

Thanks.
Greyman:
1. No, we won't do a video review.
2. Yes, halos are present on black bars just like they are present all other places on the screen when bright elements are shown. Facing the TV dead on the halos are acceptable, but at an angle - even as small as 10-15 deg - they become quite noticeable.
3. Local dimming can't defeat the ANSI pattern used to measure contrast as it is a checker board that is finer than what the size of the zones. ZD9 is able to dim inside the black areas of such a pattern, but XF90 isn't.
4. I didn't see stutter in general. Are you thinking about 720p50 material in particular?

tallyhoejoe:
Let me get back to you on that one.
Yes, I was thinking about 720p/i50 (1080p/i), microstutter on scene/shot changes.

From what I read in the review, I'm disappointed with the TV, I was expecting more. Unfortunately, for me, I realize that from Sony, just the ZD9 model deserves the money. I refer strictly to LCD (FALD), not to Oled TVs. I'm also looking forward to seeing Samsung's Q9F 2018 model, I'm curious how it compares to ZD9!
By Mckillio
Thank you so much for this incredible review! While it looks like you think the 900F is better than the 930E from picture quality standpoint, can you confirm that? I'm going to get one or the other and my local retailer has them for the exact same price. Which should I get?
The XE930 has some advantages in terms of design, but as it is edge lit it will be more prone to uniformity issues. As mentioned I have only sampled one XF90, so it could be the case that such issues would also be present on the consumer model, but backlit displays do tend to be more uniform.

In terms of picture quality they are about the same. The XE930 also has the X1 Extreme and does also support Dolby Vision, so you really aren't missing out no matter which you choose.

If weight is an issue the XE930 is also a bit of a heavy lady. Surprisingly enough.
GreyMan wrote:Yes, I was thinking about 720p/i50 (1080p/i), microstutter on scene/shot changes.

From what I read in the review, I'm disappointed with the TV, I was expecting more. Unfortunately, for me, I realize that from Sony, just the ZD9 model deserves the money. I refer strictly to LCD (FALD), not to Oled TVs. I'm also looking forward to seeing Samsung's Q9F 2018 model, I'm curious how it compares to ZD9!
I haven't experienced microstutter yet, but to be fair interlaced material is pretty limited in Denmark and especially 720i50 is something we don't have on any network.
Hi,
I am keen on the Sony XF9005 but am limited (by space) to the 49" model. Would most of your observations from the 65" be applicable to the 49", for instance 'Direct (FALD) with local dimming in 60 zones' or does the number of zones merely reflect the size of screen (a 75" having more zones than the 65").
Also the pricing of the 55" model and above have been announced but not the 49" model - I have contacted Sony who state they do intend to release the 49" in the UK but there is no date yet - do you know of a reason for the delay ?
Final question, which you may not be able to answer (having not reviewed the XE9005): the KD-49XE9005 was initially priced at £1400 but is now under £900 (Currys): would you consider the KD-49XF005 worth witing for ?
Hi, I previousley asked this :

“Thanks for the review. I’m particularly interested in the X-motion clarity feature, and the fact that it can be used in game mode. Another recent review mentioned that the XF90 was better in game mode (compared to last years models) because you could use this new x-motion tech when gaming without increasing input lag.

Can you confirm this?

Thanks.”

And you said you’d get back to me. Do you have any updates on this?

Thanks.
Yes, sorry. There was no change in input lag when engaging scanning backlight, but remember that our equipment only works in 1080p and not 4K.
Good review, as always. It looks like this TV is still missing eARC, right? Nowadays when new sound forms are coming, an old simple ARC is becoming a bottleneck in a quality soundsystems.
No eARC. We have no information wether it can be added through firmware upgrades in the future either.
tallyhoejoe wrote:OK thank you very much. Another review mentioned that their was overshoot with regards to panel response time. Did you find any problems related to this?

Thanks.
I must admit that I didn't look for this specifically, so I'm gonna have to leave that to other reviewers to comment on. Sorry. Sony picked up the set a couple of weeks ago, so I can't do any more tests on it.