A chance to talk to FlatpanelsHD's reviewers.
By Crunchie
Will adjusting the RGB Hue controls on the G20 with a PAL signal have the same effect as adjusting the Tint slider when watching Blu-Ray's and NTSC discs? Should I move each R, G and B slider equally to emulate the Tint control function?
By alibiy
i dont understand the strategi of panasonic.
i was intresested in V10. But this model has been sold out in germany since december.
the g10 models currently is in sale.
now the g20 will arrieve in 1-2weeks. and the older generaion is still in sale.
the v20 models will arrive not till then the end of mai.
what a kind of strategi is that?

now primarely im interessted in v20 but its too long time to wait for it. and i need a tv.
because of this im thinking to buy a g20. and thats the reason because i need to know whether there are major differences.

the only differences i not are:
infitie black pro, which is a better filter in front of the tv. for deeper blacks. how much deeper?

slimmer design - that would be nice, but not too bad

surround audio pro - not soo important for me

digital cinema color- essential?

it would be more senseful if the v20 would start to be sold at first.
By youbecha
While I am here...do any of these TVs pass surround through the digital ouput?

My current pana only outputs stereo, no matter what the source material is, OTA/Digital/HDMI.
By Harri
Rasmus Larsen wrote:
alibiy wrote:And yeah, we plan to review both V20 and VT20 :)
Nice review first of all :) , but do you have any idea when you will get a V20?

Apparently nordic release dates are 7th (42") / 12th (46" & 50") March for G20 and 2nd April for V20, and I'm also really torn between G20 and V20. Right now I'm looking at either a 46" G20 or a 42" V20. I'm sure I can appreciate V20s deeper blacks, but I'm also wondering if the difference is worth the extra cost.
By joro_abv
Hi,
first of all - thanks for the in-depth review. I'm looking forward for the V20 review as the G20 doesn't seem to be something to crave for and I hope V20 will worth it more.
Anyway, there is one absolutely major aspect that need to be considered now, when it comes to Panasonic plasmas - the black levels/automatic voltage adjustment problem of the 2009 range. Obviously it's too early for any observations, but do you have any trustful information on that matter from Panasonic or any other source ?
I'm on a hunt for a new TV and I have big doubts which technology to choose - LCD or plasma. Both of them have something that I really like and some points I really hate, so it definitely a 50-50 right now.
Actually, it looks like the fight for me will go straight between the Sony's NX800 LCD and the Panasonic's V20. I was almost convinced to go for the plasma, before I learned about the problem with the black levels. So, for me it is very important what is the information and what are the expectations on this for the Panasonic 2010 line.
Oh yes ... also looking forward for the NX800 review :-D
By migube_
Thanks for your answer to my previous questions.
I called Panasonic Belgium to ask about the DTS, and about the Belgian model, with or without DVB-S tuner ... waiting for their answer.

Yet another question:
How would you rate the new IFC, compared to Sony's MotionFlow (100HZz/200Hz) or Philips DNM (100Hz/200Hz) ?
I have seen a V10 next to a Z5500 (200Hz) , and was most impressed with the Sony motion, than the V10 IFC.

Thanks
migube
By cdlg7
I have a dilema. I curently own a pioneer kuro elite 1150hd (720p model) and I absolutely love it, but it has a slight problem. On the lower right hand corner of the t.v., there is a; what I would describe brown spot, maybe about an inch by and inch that you can see when the panel displays a white background. It is very subtle to the point where you can hardly notice it, but I am always drawn to it when there is a white background. Now, I bought the pioneer through best buy with a 4 year warranty on it and they have already sent to tech to see it, and he determined it was the panel. The problem is Pioneer declined their request for a new panel so the best they can do is give me an exchange. Of course the problem is that they have no more pioneers for sale. My question is, should I return it for a Panasonic G20? Am I going to be disapointed with the difference in picture quality?
By brian_p
Rasmus,

It seems strange that the G20's black level measured as high as .04 cd/m2. An American pro calibrator just measured the initial minimum luminance of an S2 at .02 cd/m2. (As we now know is typical of Panasonic plasmas, the mll has increased in the hours since that measurement was taken.) What equipment was used to get that measurement of .04 cd/m2? Do you know how many hours the G20 had been on when you measured?
By Crunchie
Can any G20 owners please confirm if the three HUE controls are accessible within the ISFccc section with a PAL signal? I've just played around with this set here in the UK and I couldn't see this feature at all in the Picture menus, just the RGB drives and cuts, no Hues or White Balance. I can see the Hue sliders on the German trade show video, but can someone please confirm for me if they work for PAL signals such as live TV and regular DVD's?
By Crunchie
UPDATE - I've just returned to the UK store again and this "Hue" (tint) feature on the 42" G20 does work on PAL but you have to select "Professional 1" or "Professional 2" presets. The trouble is that this then makes the picture go quite dark, even with full contrast. This is totally unusable, Panasonic!

Also, when displaying a black picture, all the other TV screens in the store looked black but the G20 screen was a very dark green instead! Not good!

Will the V20 have a more usable Hue function or should I expect it to be like the G20 in this respect?

I guess I should wait for reviews of the Samsung 50C6500 and the LG PK7500 seeing as both of these I believe do have global Tint (hue) sliders that work with PAL signals - and on every preset.
By Crunchie
I was thinking - if I turn up the red, green and blue drive sliders to full (in Professional mode) will this increase the contrast significantly? (it does so on my PX60). I'll try anything to enable me to watch the Professional picture mode(s) in the daytime instead of only being bright enough to watch in a dark room.
By Rasmus Larsen
tlicas wrote:Hi guys
Good review. Can you confirm if the g20 read mkv files with usb/lan and if is a gigalan.
Thanks
Tlicas
I just tried with a USB stick and there was no support for my mkv test file. I'll try with DLNA as well.
By Rasmus Larsen
alibiy wrote:the only differences i not are:
infitie black pro, which is a better filter in front of the tv. for deeper blacks. how much deeper?

slimmer design - that would be nice, but not too bad

surround audio pro - not soo important for me

digital cinema color- essential?
I saw V20 in Munich earlier and the black level was very good. Better than on G20 that is. We should soon receive the V20 for a review as well.
Also, we're receiving X20 soon. VT20 should be here around April I hope.
By Rasmus Larsen
youbecha wrote:While I am here...do any of these TVs pass surround through the digital ouput?

My current pana only outputs stereo, no matter what the source material is, OTA/Digital/HDMI.
I didn't try but the HDMI2 is a rev. 1.4 HDMI input/output so I gues it will.
But did you think of the optical output?