A chance to talk to FlatpanelsHD's reviewers.
By rb1213
STILL Image retention !!?? that's bad (So my next Plasma will be a G20 )
or are there LCD (led) TV's out there that can compete with the G20 ? (for blacks & colors)
ps: is the real contract really SO high ? (+5000:1)
It must give a better picture than the G20 then ?

Ciao,
Renzo
Last edited by rb1213 on 22 Mar 2010, 05:13, edited 2 times in total.
By skank
damn
i hoped for a better result

so if i had to chose between g20 and pk 950, the G20 is the best option right?

guess im going for that one then (also samsung c7000 was an option, but i guess that one wont beat the g20 either)
rb1213 wrote:STILL Image retention !!?? that's bad (So my next Plasma will be a G20 )
or are there LCD (led) TV's out there that can compete with the G20 ? (for blacks & colors)
ps: is the real contract really SO high ? (+5000:1)
It must give a better picture than the G20 then ?

Ciao,
Renzo
We had some brightness numbers in the table from another review. Copy/paste error. The numbers should be correct now. The calibrated picture was 73 cd/m2.

I still think the G20 is a better TV but PK950 is a very good value-for-money Tv.
By barrist
Are you going to test the black levels of the G20 again after more hours?

I was deciding between these two, and it's leaning towards the G20 but I'm hesitant because of potential rising black levels.
I did a test after around 150 hours on G20 and found nothing alarming. Unfortunately I can't keep the TVs here forever but I know some people that have bought the G20 and I might do some testing on one of these G20's when they've been running for some time.
By barrist
Rasmus Larsen wrote:I did a test after around 150 hours on G20 and found nothing alarming. Unfortunately I can't keep the TVs here forever but I know some people that have bought the G20 and I might do some testing on one of these G20's when they've been running for some time.

That would be great.

I'm a bit disappointed by the so-called TruBlack filter's performance in daytime.

I think im leaning towards the G20
barrist wrote: That would be great.

I'm a bit disappointed by the so-called TruBlack filter's performance in daytime.

Yeah I know what you mean. I can include a picture with the reflections if you want?

But PK950 is pretty much like most plasma TVs in regards to reflections.
G20 just set the new standard but previous Panasonic plasma TVs also had a lot of reflections in the panel.
By barrist
Rasmus Larsen wrote:
barrist wrote: That would be great.

Yeah I know what you mean. I can include a picture with the reflections if you want?
But PK950 is pretty much like most plasma TVs in regards to reflections.
G20 just set the new standard but previous Panasonic plasma TVs also had a lot of reflections in the panel.

That would be great!

If the G20's black levels hold up better than 2009's then i think i've chosen the panel im going to get.

Are you receiving any of the Samsung plasmas for review?
barrist wrote: Are you receiving any of the Samsung plasmas for review?
Yeah, but I'm not sure when.
I'll announce it on the front page when I have it :)
By Suchisan
Hmm a bit dissapointing indeed,had hoped LG would have improved their new plasma screens a lot,but as it seems they ar stil bottom of the ladder,real shame.
Now my choise is narrowed down to Panasonic(probably the G20) or the newer Samsung models(B850,C-series!)

Seen a LG PS550 in a shop today,colours looked washed out and dull,so i wont buy a LG plasma screen at all(Ok,its the view in a shop,but still not convinsing enough to buy a LG at all)
By skank
eum, another question, where's the magic wand tool?
have they excluded that?

i think the fact that g20 has less reflection, is better for daytime-viewing, equal blacks compared to pk950...
+ the price between the two is only 100 euros...
By rb1213
Too bad this LG isn't what I expected, and the G20 look ugly and still has phosfor trailing

Rasmus,
will Flatpanels also test the Samsung C5000 plasma?

(the V20 and VT20 will be to expensive I think)

ciao,
Renzo
By shaddix
here is a review of the 550:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showpost.php?p=18358288&postcount=88

appears 550 gamma is superior to the 950 somehow

excerpt comparison with G25:
The thing that jumped out at me first is that the PK550 picks up much more glare than the G25. The G25 is probably the best plasma I have ever seen in that regard. With both sets turned off, the PK550’s screen might have been a tiny bit darker with the lights on; but the reflections were much more distracting. The slim PK550 seems to run hotter than the thicker G25, which seems to produce surprisingly little heat. With both sets on but with a black 0% input, the G25 subjectively has slightly darker blacks, and it’s blacks were more neutral in color than the PK550’s slightly greenish glow. The PK550 seemed to be more susceptible to image retention than the G25.

The PK550 has much smoother pans; the G25’s 48Hz mode has too much flicker in my opinion, so I never use it. That gave the PK550 the advantage in handling 1080P/24 Blu Ray motion. The PK550 had bolder colors than the G25, and had a harder edged look with more pop. The G25 looked less contrasty and a bit on the washed out side of neutral in comparison. The G25 had more visible shadow detail, but it was a bit too visible to be truly accurate. The G25 had a slightly greener tinge and paler look to fleshtones. If you are the type of videophile who routinely turns down the color saturation to make various sources more palatable, then the G25’s presentation would appeal more to you. On the other hand, lovers of rich and vibrant color tones would be more attracted to the PK550’s picture.

Because of the G25’s highly visible shadow detail, slightly higher light output capability, and superb resistance to reflections, I feel it would be an excellent choice for a brighter room. However, the PK550 has a more exciting and accurate image and would be a superb choice for a more light controlled environment.