A chance to talk to FlatpanelsHD's reviewers.
By mragg
I have one question pls. I have noted that the white colour is brighter on an LCD panel (the panasonic TX-L42D25E) than it was on the TX-P42G20. I compared this when both TVs were showing the same picture (through their Freesat HD Receiver that is installed in the TV). However I did not notice this when both were showing a movie from a blu ray disk (movie -Avatar...not that it had a lot of white images!).
Why is the white almost greyish on the plasma ?Is this a question of settings?
By Neologist
Hello guys, hello Mr. Larsen,

I do have a question regarding the G(W)20´s contrast filter.
Is it actually kind of sprayed onto the display?
Or is it part of the glass-front?

I wonder because lately I tried to calibrate it with an Eye-One Display 2 (not the best colorimeter available, I know ;) ). Now I´m a bit confused and freaked, since the Colorimeter scratches a little against the TV´s Display and I accidently hit the Display with a corner of my notebook. However, very slightly though.
The manual only says that the display is equipped with this sort of filter and any kind of manipulation of the display should be avoided. That would include even hitting the display with your finger nails.

Freaked out, I checked the Display for scratches and luckiely did not find any.
Nonetheless I keep thinking about it and worry, I could have damaged the display anyway.
Can the filter be seen at all?
Does it filter UV-rays as well and would I be exposed to radiation if its scratched?

I really hope panasonic only writes this to prevent dummies to do anything stupid like throwing the ps3´s controller against the display or something ;)

Any help would be great.
Thanks in advance, folks.

And sorry for my English, but I´m no native speaker.

Best regards,

Neologist
T
By lance_1972
Ciao, I have read on some forums that professional calibration of this and other plasmas should be done after 100-200 hours of usage.
Do you agree?
Did you calibrate the G20 after a period or it was a brand new one?

Thank you
Luca
By Rasmus Larsen
Nikke wrote:Given that you can't escape it completely, how much buzzing should I accept? What's normal for these beasts?
Some of the Danish guys on the Danish Flatpanels forums also experienced buzzing but it seems that some models have loud buzzing and other models have almost no buzzing.

But yeah, buzzing can occur on all plasma TV. If you can hear it from your normal seating distance then I think it's too much and that you shouldn't accept it.
By Rasmus Larsen
mirogster wrote:Guys! How about subtitles size in divx files and mkv playback? Is it possible to adjust and play those files?
I didn't try actually. Sorry.
By Rasmus Larsen
mragg wrote:I have one question pls. I have noted that the white colour is brighter on an LCD panel (the panasonic TX-L42D25E) than it was on the TX-P42G20. I compared this when both TVs were showing the same picture (through their Freesat HD Receiver that is installed in the TV). However I did not notice this when both were showing a movie from a blu ray disk (movie -Avatar...not that it had a lot of white images!).
Why is the white almost greyish on the plasma ?Is this a question of settings?
Did you see this in a store or at home?

The short answer is that plasma TVs can't get as high light output as LCD-TVs. The higher the light output the whiter white appears.

But you also have to take in mind that the human eye is dynamic. You might see this in a comparison test but when you sit at home white on a plasma TV will seem to be almost white. Also, the difference is more visible in very bright rooms, for example in shops, because the ambient lighting is so extreme.

Ideally you would want to have a TV with very high light output on white but the problem with LCD-TVs today is that if you increase light output you can't just limit this to the bright colors. You will also effect the mid-tones and darker colors.
By Rasmus Larsen
Neologist wrote:I do have a question regarding the G(W)20´s contrast filter.
Is it actually kind of sprayed onto the display?
Or is it part of the glass-front?
Yes and no. The reflection prevention is done primarily with a new plasma layer design inside the actual panel. But you also have a so-called anti-reflective coating on the panel, and yes you can scratch this. But this is true for all screens today.
Does it filter UV-rays as well and would I be exposed to radiation if its scratched?
No, no, don't worry. :) A plasma panel just emits light, nothing dangerous.

But if you scratch the coating layer you will get a permanent damage that can't be fixed and this can be quite annoying to look at.
By Rasmus Larsen
lance_1972 wrote:Ciao, I have read on some forums that professional calibration of this and other plasmas should be done after 100-200 hours of usage.
Do you agree?
Did you calibrate the G20 after a period or it was a brand new one?

Thank you
Luca
Yes that's true. The phosphor layer changes a lot in the first 100-200 hours of usage. So you should do a "break-in period" before calibration and measurement.
A break-in period also reduces the risk of image retention.

Yes, we always do a 150-200 hour break-in before we test. Some of the plasma TVs we receive are samples, however, and have been running for some time, so no need.
By Rasmus Larsen
dvdeo wrote:FYI: WMV via DLNA is now supported. Just watched couple of WMVs. And WMV is not a codec - it is just a container file format.
Thanks for that update. I have updated the review :)
By Mia
Hi there!
Which TV do you find superior if to compare between:
PANASONIC TX-P43G20 and Samsung C5 or C6-series?
(OK, I understand the size difference, but my hubby and I are in a deep argument about quality and picture resolution.... In short, which is the better TV? The TV will in this case be used as an "every-day" tv in the livingroom where we have large windows on both sides of the TV.) We really need an objective pro to give the verdict!
(or maybe you guys have a completely different TV-suggestion?)

Regarding the Pana G20: How does the USB recording actually work (maybe this is a completely stupid question, but hey, I'm blonde and need help! :roll:
Does the Samsung C5/C6 have USB recording? (Can't find any info on this)

Will be very interesting to hear who wins this battle, my hubby or myself... :) And hopefully we'll soon have a new tv!

Many Many thanks!
Swedes in TV-distress
By herrpan
Rasmus Larsen wrote:
dvdeo wrote:FYI: WMV via DLNA is now supported. Just watched couple of WMVs. And WMV is not a codec - it is just a container file format.
Thanks for that update. I have updated the review :)

Hi again,

Can you help me to activate - to setup dlna option. When I try to enter the option media server, it say's that no media server connected?

Thanks
HERRPAN
By ibrhmymn
I am planing to buy a g20 but I have only a question in my mind, tx-p42g20 is plasma tv and I would like to know is there a still burn-in problem of this plasma, I read information about the new technolgy neo pdp plasma which says this problem is reduced. Do you have any idea about this burn-in (when the tv is watched for a long time logos left traces on the screen) do I suufer from this problem I will buy this tv for mostly watching hd movies and ps3 playing.
thanks in advance...
By ibrhmymn
hi guys I am very close to get a 42g20 but i would ask you about burn in, that is the only thing that is questionnable in g20 can you help me about burn-in issue. Is is unavoidable or can we prevent from it. What is the possibility to have a burn-in issue in panasonic plasma :/