A chance to talk to FlatpanelsHD's reviewers.
By prebuffo
Hallo Again Magnus Larsen (excuse me if I post the same question two times but is very important for me to understand correctly your reviews), I have a couple question about pk950 review and in your review general.

1) Did you perform a Break-IN of the PK950 before the review, if yes, how many hours?
2) In general did you perform a minimum amount of Break-IN hour as a fixed protocol for Plasma Panel reviews?

Thanks in Advance
Paolo Rebuffo
skank wrote:Rasmus,

Looking at your picture from the reflection -> it seems the panasonic on the left side of the pk950 has big reflections too? is that the g20?
No it's X20. The review will be online on monday :)
skank wrote:If you would have to chose now between:
1) buy the panasonic 50G20 for 1300 euro
2) buy the lg 50pk950 for 1200 euro
3) still wait for the samsung 50c7000 review (with 3d possibility) and pay 1350

what would you chose?
Hard. I have seen the C7000 a few times now and I am expecting a quite good TV here as well. G20 is better than PK950 overall in terms of picture quality but PK950 comes close. I suggest that you either wait for the C7000 review or choose what you like the best. Both are good TVs but make sure to consider the retention issue on PK950 if you spend a lot of time in front of the gaming console.
prebuffo wrote:Hallo Again Magnus Larsen (excuse me if I post the same question two times but is very important for me to understand correctly your reviews), I have a couple question about pk950 review and in your review general.

1) Did you perform a Break-IN of the PK950 before the review, if yes, how many hours?
2) In general did you perform a minimum amount of Break-IN hour as a fixed protocol for Plasma Panel reviews?
Yes. I always do a break-in of about 80-120 hours with a break-in disc that we have made ourselves. It's basically some colour gradient that slides accross the screen.
The PK950 had been used in the Scandinavian LG office and had been used for some presentations as well so it has been running for more than my 100-150 hours, too. I didn't check to service menu, though.

By the way, my name is Rasmus - not Magnus. :)
By prebuffo
Rasmus Larsen wrote: Yes. I always do a break-in of about 80-120 hours with a break-in disc that we have made ourselves. It's basically some colour gradient that slides accross the screen.
The PK950 had been used in the Scandinavian LG office and had been used for some presentations as well so it has been running for more than my 100-150 hours, too. I didn't check to service menu, though.

By the way, my name is Rasmus - not Magnus. :)
Hallo again Rasmus (sorry for Magnus... Is it a name? :D ).

You Recived the PK950 on 12-march-2010 and the review was on line on 22-march-2010 you had a maximum of ten days to do a minimum of 80 hours break-in.

Is a minimum of 8 hour a day! Little bit stressing for new panel or not?
By xxx1
prebuffo wrote:
Hallo again Rasmus (sorry for Magnus... Is it a name? :D ).

You Recived the PK950 on 12-march-2010 and the review was on line on 22-march-2010 you had a maximum of ten days to do a minimum of 80 hours break-in.

Your days don't have 24 hours?
By haukka
While I can see reason to go for the G20 for 50 inch models, I'm looking to replace a very aging 63" inch tv and dont wish to downgrade (at least much) on the screen size. The only thing I could find better than the LG 60PK950 is the Panasonic 65VT25 which more than double the price. I suppose the 60 inch PK950 will be pretty much equal to the 50 inch version on picture quality?

Any hope for getting a reasonable comparison between 65VT25 and 60PK950, price included?
prebuffo wrote:Hallo again Rasmus (sorry for Magnus... Is it a name? :D ).

Hehe, yeah Magnus is actually a name here in Denmark, too :)

PK950 had be used in the Nordic region by LG Sweden and Denmark for a lot of promo work before I received it so the break-in periode was nothing I should worry about.

Anyways, often the break-in is done at night with a DVD disc designed for break-in (gradients sliding in different colors that is better than just using the TV because it stresses the phosphor more).
And then we do all the DLNA, media function, design descriptions etc. stuff at the beginning and finish off with the actual picture quality, measurements and calibration tests.
haukka wrote:While I can see reason to go for the G20 for 50 inch models, I'm looking to replace a very aging 63" inch tv and dont wish to downgrade (at least much) on the screen size. The only thing I could find better than the LG 60PK950 is the Panasonic 65VT25 which more than double the price. I suppose the 60 inch PK950 will be pretty much equal to the 50 inch version on picture quality?

Any hope for getting a reasonable comparison between 65VT25 and 60PK950, price included?
Yeah, 60PK950 should be similar. I'll receive the VT20/VT25 very soon and sure, I can include some a PK950 vs. VT20/VT25 comparison :)
By barneyk
I think alot of us reading this would love to see a comparison between PK950 and PK550.
How big of a difference is there really between the two?

I can buy a 60 inch 550 for about 1600€ and a 950 costs about 2500€ right now, thats quite steep.
How much better is the 950 really?
By McUrby
Hi Guys,

thx for your magnificent work here!

I have read a lot of reviews regarding the PK950 and the G20 and I am now as clever (or dumb) than before... could you please help me because buying this tv is still a major investment for me:

I am pending between the Panasonic 46g20 and the LG 50pk950.

Both of them I can get at the same price (around 1150 euros), so there is no prizing argument here.

I live in a bright flat, but I will use the TV most of the time during evening/night-times and i have the opportunity to darken my flat almost completely.

As I am working as a Gaming-Journalist (kind of part-time) I will use the flat a lot for playing on Xbox360 and PS3.

Further I want to use Bluray (PS3) and therefore HD-Quality is very important.

In a German Forum (www.cnet.de) the moderator advised me to buy the PK950 because he says that the LG has more brighter images and almost the black level of G20. IR wasnt an issue because the moderator there says it will disappear after 200+ hours. But in your test its quite the opposit?

Can you please give me an advice what to do?

Thank you in advance.
Martin
By Mahuk
Can anyone tell me about the sound options for this TV?

In particular I'm curious to know it it can bitstream to my onkyo receiver which (probably) has a better DA/AD converter built in.
I spent a bunch of money on NAS, Receiver and speaker setup to get best possible sound but the mediaplayer in the Onkyo comes up short in user friendliness. :-(
By scamham
This is my second LG 60PK950 and it looks like the image attached. Has anybody else have the same problem with pattern like waves?

Thanks for your time.
By petterekman
Rasmus Larsen wrote:...
Hi there Rasmus! I've been following your reviews here for over a year now, and I based my purchase of a 50" Panasonic G10 partly because of your review.

Now, after a really weird problem with my G10, I'm going to be refunded the entire amount, and so I'm back in the hunt for a new set.

I was very pleased with my G10. I didn't quite get the blacks I expected (was hoping for even blacker blacks, I'm a bit picky when it comes to blacks) but other than that, it was a great TV.

So, my question is: What new TV should I aim for?

-Panasonic 50" V20. This has much deeper blacks and great image and is excellent in nearly all areas.

or

-LG 60" PK950 (or 750 or 550). This doesn't have the blacks as the V20, but how does it fare against the old G10? Worse blacks than my old G10 is not acceptable. The advantages this set has that really lures me in, are the size (10" more equals to 44% bigger area, which would be nice), the design (Panasonics looks awful compared) and the fact that the picture gets alot of good comments otherwise, when concerning colours and sharpness.

So, do you, or anyone else here, have an opinion in the matter? Anything would help! I have seen both sets in shops, but that doesn't do me any good since shops are horrible places to judge. I even saw the 50" VT25 next to the 60" PK550, and the VT25 did have MUCH deeper blacks. Again, in shop, and no idea how they were set up, so it doesn't really say much.

Cheers,

Petter from Sweden