A chance to talk to FlatpanelsHD's reviewers.
Kashmir wrote:Thanks for the review! It took you almost 6 months after you announced that you will get it reviewed.

Few things....

1. Why didn't you get PS50C7705 scandinavian model. It's identical to US and Australian models. It has all calibration features like on US/AU model.

2. Why didn't you measure 50Hz ie 100Hz MLL level? Most of your readers would be more intrested about that than MLL of 60Hz mode. Under 1% of your eu readers use 60Hz mode anyways (1% of average european households use their television with game consoles and 98% of their TV watching is normal TV or movies (about 2% is used for gaming). So it is safety say that 60Hz MLL reading is completely useless to all of your readers.
1. I did. But no CAL-DAY and CAL-NIGHT settings. I have elaborated in some of the other posts.

2. See my previous post :) 24 Hz is reproduced similar to 60 Hz on this TV.
EU readers? FlatpanelsHD has mostly US readers - by far.
ps. I actually own this TV. One thing for potential buyers:
This tv has worst black level (and that also means contrast on dim environment) of the current plasma televisions. I mean worst by far. Blacks are gray no matter how nicely you want me to say it. I would even say they are worse than any LCD tv on the market today, but that would be just guessing. But I'm still keeping it because it is the brightest plasma I've seen (even little brighter than G20). And about 2-3 times brighter than PK950.

Btw, on my set MLL doesn't change at all if I change from Standard mode to movie mode. Grays ...I mean blacks stays gray.
You must have a faulty set. There's a huge difference between the Standard and Movie preset.
To my knowledge this set has received some tweaks and was taken off the market for some time. Have you tried contacting Samsung? And have you tried updating the firmware?
nicolatc wrote:Thanks for the review !

Few requests:

1. Please measure 50 Hz MLL

2. Italian model C7000YP also has advanced settings menu, with 10p white balance (and colour space). I'm quite sure it's available in all models, and 10p white balance option is always aviable when the picture mode is set to movie with HDMI input. Why don't you use it? US and australian models only have two more modes for storing custom calibration settings like Movie (CAL-Day and CAL-Night).

3. how aggressive is ABL (automatic brightness limiter) ?
1. See previous post.

2. That's what I mean, yes.

3. Not perfect but I have seen worse. The white is definitely more grey in full screen.
By sonic_blue
Rasmus Larsen wrote:MLL is slightly higher at 0.01-0.015 with 50 Hz in the Movie preset.
Just to clarify, is this cd/m2 or ftL?

Thanks
Last edited by sonic_blue on 10 Sep 2010, 17:16, edited 1 time in total.
By sonic_blue
I think I understand now - you were saying the 50hz MLL is 0.01-0.015 cdm2 brighter than 60hz MLL , would that be correct?

In that case, worst case scenario is 0.075cdm2 for 50hz (=0.021ftL). To put it in perspective, this is a little bit darker than a risen Panasonic from 2009.

In comparison, ChadB of avsforum measured 0.026ftL on US model 50C7000, but presumably he measured 60hz, so not sure what is going on there. Maybe he had Cinema Smooth turned on.
By Kashmir
nicolatc wrote:Thanks for the review !

Few requests:

1. Please measure 50 Hz MLL

2. Italian model C7000YP also has advanced settings menu, with 10p white balance (and colour space). I'm quite sure it's available in all models, and 10p white balance option is always aviable when the picture mode is set to movie with HDMI input. Why don't you use it? US and australian models only have two more modes for storing custom calibration settings like Movie (CAL-Day and CAL-Night).

3. how aggressive is ABL (automatic brightness limiter) ?
3. I would like to say if you don't use maximum contrast setting its not noticeable at all. I'm very sensitive to it after owning LG PK950 and Panasonic G10. C7700 is so bright you don't have to use high contrast anyways.
By ferlin
Very interesting reading, really appreciate your reviews! :) Im trying to decide between the Samsung and the Panasonic V20 50", I have read both reviews and the Panasonic seems to have the upperhand in most areas. How big is the difference in black level "irl", if you put both screens next to each other does the Panasonic destroy the Samsung?

I also wonder which TV that handles SD-material better?
By the666bbq
Hi,

I tried all your settings and noticed some annoying behavior on my PS50C7700 (Belgium). On some (not all) tv shows/channels I have a white shade/haze. This annoyance goes away when I set 'movie' back to standard. I cannot measure this by eye but I would say that black is more black without the white haze. I say tv shows/channels because I could not identify the pattern yet when this is actually happening; sometimes the image seems fine, sometimes it is 'pale'.

I have the latest firmware (3003) and play on 1080i/50Hz. Does anyone see the white haze too ??
By system1
do you know what is the contrast ratio for this samsung?

On samsung we it says only megacontrast but i read is only 1 mill contrast