A chance to talk to FlatpanelsHD's reviewers.
By Darknight0092010
djfunk wrote:Thanks for another good review. I only wish I had it before getting the display :D

I have to agree with Myrmeleon with some of the points made perhaps needing justification in the review. That said having this display is a mixed bag for me because it has issues. I much like the sturdy and functional high quality build, the ‘green’ power consumption, the bundled stuff, the top notch gaming performance but in many areas I see the negative as well.

We have tons of picture modes in XL2410T but they are useless because most of the parameters have been greyed out (is this better than not having them at all is hard to say).

As Myrmeleon I quickly settled for ‘standard mode’ having the most controls available and here is my setup:

Brightness: 20
Contrast: 45
Sharpness 4
Gamma 2.2
AMA On
Instant mode On
RGB custom
R 89
G 80
B 88

By default the display is way too bright for my taste and as such it is perhaps better suited for brightly lit rooms because we have no control over the backlight (a shame). Default gamma of 2.2 is actually tracking 2.4 to 2.5 across the greyscale on my Spyder 3 but I managed to track perfect 2.2 by accessing Nvidia color scheme (GTX470) and making 1.15 adjustment to its gamma bar. We really should have 0.1 steps to the gamma on the display and without adjustment on the adapter side I think 2.0 is a better choice overall.

I like the sharpness of 4 a tad better on a text on web pages over the default 3.

Bright lit games like Bad Company 2 are a breeze to play but Stalker for example struggles to look even decent because shadow detail gets crushed and because the backlight glows trough and casts a blue tint across the whole bottom of the display (you can correct much of this however by adjusting the gamma within the game itself). I don’t think viewing angles are too bad unless you put your head too close or tilt the display up (my eyes are level with the top of the display looking down and the display turned vertical rather than tilted directly towards my face). Viewing the display head on results loosing shadow detail from the top to bottom but of course also depends on gamma.

In comparison I have my old Viewsonic VP930 with IPS panel. I managed to run these two in dual mode and clearly Viewsonic has the edge on shadow detail by a huge margin and no backlight issues what so ever. On the other hand 120Hz on the BenQ enables me to jump around other players and shoot them down in Bad Company 2 like never before. No more need for a sniper scope with BenQ.

The verdict: If you play online and just want to have a frag then BenQ may be the perfect choice for you or… just maybe there are still better 120Hz monitors out there for the buck (for me probably not because I got a real bargain here). If you play single as in Stalker I’d suggest get an IPS or VA instead. For any movies I certainly prefer the BenQ for its size and aspect ratio over my old Viewsonic.

Notes:

- I have some weird artefacts on the bottom of the display one directly at the centre line and another on the bottom right corner measuring one pixel high and about 10 wide. Anybody else having these marginally brighter bars?

- The calibration is better made after having the display on for a solid hour or two because everything shifts up to the point.
Just got this monitor yesterday, I also have this :? weird artifact marginally bright bars on the bottom of the display one at center line and another one right corner !!! Is this a defective monitor ? Then I changed the dual link DVI cable to DVI to HMDI cable, the artifacts is gone no more but my monitor now is limited to 60Hz
anyone is also have these little bright bars on their monitor? Should I contact BENQ for this problem??
By tqz
Darknight0092010 wrote:
djfunk wrote:I have some weird artefacts on the bottom of the display one directly at the centre line and another on the bottom right corner measuring one pixel high and about 10 wide. Anybody else having these marginally brighter bars?.
Just got this monitor yesterday, I also have this :? weird artifact marginally bright bars on the bottom of the display one at center line and another one right corner !!! Is this a defective monitor ? Then I changed the dual link DVI cable to DVI to HMDI cable, the artifacts is gone no more but my monitor now is limited to 60Hz
anyone is also have these little bright bars on their monitor? Should I contact BENQ for this problem??
Is it similar to this?
http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/8144 ... 3sl0ph.jpg

That's the so-called LED ripple effect. Or do you guys have something different? Pictures would be helpful.
By Gunbuster
To Darknight0092010, I noticed the same to white bars, at the center and at the right side of my XL2410T. They are more prominent when theres a brighter screen, opposed to a dark one when I watch a movie, play a game etc. When I turn off AMA, these two bars disappear, also when I select 60 hz instead of 120hz. Strange behavior that.

BTW, anyone know how to access the service menu on this monitor ?
By Darknight0092010
tqz wrote:
Darknight0092010 wrote:
djfunk wrote:I have some weird artefacts on the bottom of the display one directly at the centre line and another on the bottom right corner measuring one pixel high and about 10 wide. Anybody else having these marginally brighter bars?.
Is it similar to this?

That's the so-called LED ripple effect. Or do you guys have something different? Pictures would be helpful.
I don't have that LED ripple effect, here the pics can tell you

this is the bright bars at the center

this is the bright bars at the right corner

Both these bright bars will off when I turn off the AMA or switch to DVI to HMDI cable which limited to 60Hz

My monitor only come with quick start guide which is useless! Is this monitor suppose to like that?
By Myrmeleon
Darknight0092010 wrote:
tqz wrote:
Darknight0092010 wrote: Just got this monitor yesterday, I also have this :? weird artifact marginally bright bars on the bottom of the display one at center line and another one right corner !!! Is this a defective monitor ? Then I changed the dual link DVI cable to DVI to HMDI cable, the artifacts is gone no more but my monitor now is limited to 60Hz
Is it similar to this?

I don't have that LED ripple effect, here the pics can tell you

this is the bright bars at the center

this is the bright bars at the right corner

Both these bright bars will off when I turn off the AMA or switch to DVI to HMDI cable which limited to 60Hz

My monitor only come with quick start guide which is useless! Is this monitor suppose to like that?

I don't have this BARS sir, even with AMA disabled!
Could be the DVI cable !
Have you tried with another DVI cable?
8-)
By invalidusername
I have the exact same artifacts, I'm using the provided and already connected in package double link DVI cable. No change if I switch the refresh rate to 100hz, but these artifacts disappear when I turn AMA off.
By djfunk
Pictures are worth 1000 words here. I have the exact same thing so this tells me it’s a feature or a firmware quirk rather than a defective set. These bars are only marginally brighter than the context, they disappear once the picture is black (no signal) or white (100IRE). Other than that they seem to work right and it’s just the luminosity driving the pixels a tad higher than the rest of the picture.

Just out of curiosity I came across and calibrated an entry level display from BenQ (G2420HDB), I suspect the unit has the same matte TN panel as XL2410T does, the picture quality was overall better (less backlight problems, better grayscale tracking). Obviously it does not have 120Hz but I’m thinking does this and the marginally better ergonomics (height adjustment, pivot) justify about 200€ difference? I think not…
By Rasmus Larsen
Okay, I had a chance to play with XL2410T again and did some testing in the Standard preset.

Below you can see the calibrated result. It's better than in the sRGB mode but remember that an ICC profile has also been added. You can try the calibrated settings below the picture.

Color gradation with a calibrated Standard preset is almost identical to color gradation in a default RGB preset on XL2410T, so please refer to the actual review for more information. The same goes for shadow detailing. The Standard preset crushes some dark details be default. My calibration improved shadow detailing slightly but not much.

The color gamut is not perfect in the Standard preset either.

The calibrated settings are:
Brightness: 42
Contrast: 50
Sharpness: 3
Gamma: 2.2
Color Temperature: User Mode
Red: 93
Green: 89
Blue 97

I will add these updated tests results in the XL2410T review, too.
By Dalle
I have the exact same problems with the defect pixels on the bottom... Did any of you guys contact benq? Or what did you do?
By djfunk
They are not defective pixels but artifacts resulted by the AMA feature. Turning the AMA off will result a normal picture and no I have not contacted BenQ about this issue yet.
By tqz
Rasmus Larsen wrote:Okay, I had a chance to play with XL2410T again and did some testing in the Standard preset.

Below you can see the calibrated result. It's better than in the sRGB mode but remember that an ICC profile has also been added. You can try the calibrated settings below the picture.

Color gradation with a calibrated Standard preset is almost identical to color gradation in a default RGB preset on XL2410T, so please refer to the actual review for more information. The same goes for shadow detailing. The Standard preset crushes some dark details be default. My calibration improved shadow detailing slightly but not much.

The color gamut is not perfect in the Standard preset either.

The calibrated settings are:
Brightness: 42
Contrast: 50
Sharpness: 3
Gamma: 2.2
Color Temperature: User Mode
Red: 93
Green: 89
Blue 97

I will add these updated tests results in the XL2410T review, too.
What was the black level at these settings?
By squad
I also got Image 2 little white bars one center bottom and one right bottom. But how do I fix this, don't want to send in the monitor for only these 2 things. Plus they disappear when you play games sometimes or forget bout it but is there a fix for it?
By Dalle
it seems its caused by the AMA option... I turned it off and they disappeared. And I'm not noticing any difference with AMA enabled / disabled so that solved it for me =D