A chance to talk to FlatpanelsHD's reviewers.
By engine
I am now considering on buying this monitor. If my unit has the backlight bleed, can I ask for a replacement?

Thanks.
By Don
I am now considering on buying this monitor. If my unit has the backlight bleed, can I ask for a replacement?

Thanks.
I suppose you can. Backlight bleed is not listed under the exclusions of the NEC Guarantee Conditons.

Regards,
Don
By albatros_la
It's about a month I am shifting the buy of the EA231WMI because of the 232 to be released and reviewed (and I really thank you for the latter: you are the first to give a comprehensive review of it!). Well, I am not impressed. I would expected more improvements while it seems the unique one is the lower power consumption (which is good, but not enough if you search for a budget good quality panel). Assuming that all but the backlight illumination remained the same as before, my question is the following: it the 232 any better than the 231 from any point of view? The 231, like the majority of cheap IPS LCDs, slightly suffered of panel backlight uniformity. Did the switching to the led technology solved this problem, or - at least - did it minimized it? If not, I am seriously considering to buy the predecessor, which I hope to find at a lower price as long as they have sold it all.
Last but not least: could the led technology be considered more reliable and durable than the previously implemented CCFL backlight illumination? If so, that could give the newer version a nice advantage over the older one.
By Rasmus Larsen
engine wrote:I am now considering on buying this monitor. If my unit has the backlight bleed, can I ask for a replacement?

Thanks.
Some manufacturers and some retailers replace monitors with bleeding but there's no guarantee. I suggest you ask your retailer before you buy.

We look forward to hearing from you. We should also receive some user reports from our Danish users soon.
By Rasmus Larsen
albatros_la wrote:is the 232 any better than the 231 from any point of view?
Not really, no. But not worse either. It's pretty much a 231 with LED.
The 231, like the majority of cheap IPS LCDs, slightly suffered of panel backlight uniformity. Did the switching to the led technology solved this problem, or - at least - did it minimized it? If not, I am seriously considering to buy the predecessor, which I hope to find at a lower price as long as they have sold it all.
I think the bleeding is worse on 232 - at least it was with our two samples. Remember that we're talking about Edge LED. Personally I would buy the EA231WMi.
Last but not least: could the led technology be considered more reliable and durable than the previously implemented CCFL backlight illumination? If so, that could give the newer version a nice advantage over the older one.
It has a shorter warm up time and in theory it should last longer. But as you might know: most monitors die because of the internal boards, and not because of the actual panel or backlight unit.
By Don
Rasmus Larssen wrote:
albatros_la wrote:The 231, like the majority of cheap IPS LCDs, slightly suffered of panel backlight uniformity. Did the switching to the led technology solved this problem, or - at least - did it minimized it? If not, I am seriously considering to buy the predecessor, which I hope to find at a lower price as long as they have sold it all.
I think the bleeding is worse on 232 - at least it was with our two samples. Remember that we're talking about Edge LED. Personally I would buy the EA231WMi.
I gather from your reply that you would buy the EA231WMi because the chance of its backlight bleeding is not as big as with EA232WMi, based on the samples you've seen and because it is a fair bit cheaper, correct?

Would you hold the same opinion if -for example- http://www.tftcentral.co.uk and/ or the Danish users do not report backlight bleeding? I thought I had made up my mind (wait for the EA232WMi), but at the moment I am not quite sure.

Regards,
Don
By Rasmus Larsen
Don wrote:I gather from your reply that you would buy the EA231WMi because the chance of its backlight bleeding is not as big as with EA232WMi, based on the samples you've seen and because it is a fair bit cheaper, correct?
Yes :)
Would you hold the same opinion if -for example- http://www.tftcentral.co.uk and/ or the Danish users do not report backlight bleeding? I thought I had made up my mind (wait for the EA232WMi), but at the moment I am not quite sure.
I would probably still go for the EA231WMi based on the lower price.
By engine
I ordered the EA232WMi. If it has noticeable backlight bleeding, I will simply ask the store for an EA231WMi as replacement. It should arrive in a day or two. In our country we have 8 days to try a product. If for some reason we don't like it, we can simply return it and demand a refund. It's the law here. So I don't have a problem ordering the EA232WMi.

Anyway I am using a laptop with an edgelit LED TN panel. It has little or no backlight bleeding. But it is a small 15.3 inch panel. Maybe the larger panels are more difficult to lighten.
By Rasmus Larsen
engine wrote:I ordered the EA232WMi. If it has noticeable backlight bleeding, I will simply ask the store for an EA231WMi as replacement. It should arrive in a day or two. In our country we have 8 days to try a product. If for some reason we don't like it, we can simply return it and demand a refund. It's the law here. So I don't have a problem ordering the EA232WMi.
I hope you get a proper sample. Please report back :)
By engine
I received it today. It was manufactured November 2010.

Unfortunately there is heavy backlight bleeding near the lower left corner. Just like the sample that was reviewed.

What should I do? I don't want to keep it. Should I ask for a replacement under warranty? Or should I ask for an EA231WMi as replacement? I think I will do the second!
By engine
Already shipped the EA232WMi back to the seller. And asked for an EA231WMi as replacement. It shouldn't have that kind of backlight bleeding, right?

Thanks.
By Don
If one would be of the opinion that the backlight issues of the NEC EA232WMi are problematic, I suppose that -besides the NEC EA231WMi- the Dell U2311H should be considered as well.

Perhaps I am comparing apples and oranges, but I am particularly inclined to think that the Dell U2311H might be a suitable alternative if one were to look for an IPS-panel. Both the U2311H and the NEC EA231WMi utilise the same panel: LM230WF2.

Tweakers.net:
Overview

Digitalversus:
Detailed side-by-side comparison

Tftcentral:
Review EA231WMi
Review Dell U2311H

This site:
Review EA231WMi
Review U2311H

Regards,
Don
By albatros_la
You are right, Don, in fact I am thinking to buy the Dell instead of the Nec LCD. The Dell is much cheaper, at least here in Italy: 287€ vs 349€. Strangely, the EA231WMi costs 30€ more than the successor, at least at the shop where I found both of them. I guess Dell has already switched to LED backlight. The flatpanelshd review does not mention light bleeding issues: is the Dell tested by flatpanelshd the LED backlight version or is it the old CCFL one? I am just trying to understand if the light bleed is a drawback of the LED technology or if it is just a consequence of a weak chassis design.
On the other hand, Dell LCD has got some contrast issues which lead to purple tinting, something that has not been encountered by the review of the Nec one...