TVs, including LCD/LED, plasma, OLED, and more. Ask for buying advice, or help others, share experiences etc.
I have been very happy with the Philips Cineos Flat TV 42PFL7862D 42" LCD with Pixel Plus 2 HD. We bought it in end January 2008. Bought at wupti.com

However, in early April 2101, I turned on the TV and after a few seconds while the picture was adjusting itself the TV made slight cracking noise and the picture went dark and disappeared. There was then a slight burning smell. There was nothing unusal in our house with electricity.

The sound works but there is no picture on any setting.

Assuming that the TV was somehow defect, I registered a customer support question at Philips' website. I was contacted a few days later and told there are no known defects for this model. This to me is a failure on the part of Philips. They must know about similar cases.

When I called the authorized Philips partner, they immediatley told me it will cost 325EUR to fix! I got the impression that they have made similare repairs to this model. I have found 2 other cases via Google.

If anyone has a similar problem with this model, please reply. Having spent 1500 EUR to buy this TV and then have the pricture blow out just 2 months after the warranty is up is a real frustration. I would like to build a complaint.

Thanks.
Hello There,

I had exactly the same problem. I bought this tv in May 2008 and last week it went off. The sound works fine.

Today a mechanic visited me and it is a very known defect, the mechanic told me.

Problem is that the "Invertes" are defect. He already ordered an Inverterkit for me and installed it in the TV. Everybody is fine now.

For me it was free cause of the 3 years warrenty. He told me that the costs of a converterset is between the 50 and 60 euro's. An inverter is the starter of the backlight and it can be ordered in a kit, cause if one is broken you have the replace both.

On the paper the mechanic left at me stays the following article numbers. I don't know what the wright one is:

996500046283 -- Inverter kit.
996510020737 -- Inverter kit LC.

If I google above numbers I found them at different stores. The marges on this kind articles are very high.

Gr.
FB2011

Note:

You need this set:
http://audio-tv-foto.marktplaats.nl/tv- ... nd=20&fs=1